Fall Out Boy sticks comeback (maybe)

By Loumarie Rodriguez

How can we ever forget our angsty preteen years of listening to all those pop punk bands that seemed to know exactly how we were feeling? My goodness, weren't we overly dramatic? However, a good majority of those aggravating pop punk bands that we used to know and love have vanished off the face of the earth. Despite this, one group has managed to gain some attention with the release of their latest single. Fall Out Boy (FOB) has crawled out of the cracks where pop punk rock has fallen through. They even released a single in order to create some hype for their new CD, "Save Rock and Roll," coming out May 6. 

Their single, titled "My Song Knows What You Did in the Dark (Light Em Up)," was released earlier this month and is a completely different sound than the typical FOB that a lot of us used to appreciate in our preteen years. The whiny style of singing has finally been vanquished. From the beginning of the song, you can hear the upgrade, with a repetitive beat that leads right into vocalist Patrick Stump singing with a surprisingly edgy sound completely unlike their older songs. 

Once you reach the chorus, the song is actually catchy. Again, it certainly matches the mainstream music scene: hipsters beware. When listening to the single the first time, you miss the guitar sound because of the climatic background beats. There is a buildup to the chorus with really odd lyrics. The title of the song doesn't make too much sense with the context of the song, but did FOB's titles ever make sense? The one thing I am glad to hear is that their whiny style seems to be long gone. Still, we'll have to wait for their album for that to be officially determined. For now, they are on the right path to something different from their earlier works, but they have retained their pop sound, so it's really unclear how they plan to save rock and roll. 

FOB had announced they were writing a new record on their Twitter back in August 2012. However, the official announcement of their reunion came from their website on Feb. 4. They also performed their new single on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" on Wednesday night. 

I'll admit that I am grateful for that the pop punk generation is dead, although whispers of it still float around. Whiny vocals and lead singers complaining about how complicated their lives are belong in the past, and hopefully there are no attempts at a revival.