Hardware issue causes wireless crash
Wireless internet on the Storrs campus crashed early yesterday morning due to a hardware error leaving many students in panic with no connection to internet unless they had access to an Ethernet cord.
"We had a hardware error that caused us to have to reload our system. Once the system was reloaded it began to operate correctly. From there we had a software failure that was a result from a code upgrade," said Jeffrey Farese a network design and architecture team leader within the network engineering for University Information Technology Services (UTIS). "The code upgrade was to resolve scaling issues for the overwhelming usage of the wireless from the beginning of the new semester. We experienced some large growth and that large growth allowed for some bugs to be exposed in the software we were running."
UTIS updated their progress online at itstatus.uconn.edu on the connectivity issues, and a good majority of wireless internet was restored around 2:30 p.m., however, technicians continue to work on the wireless.
"There are many more devices per user so it puts a greater demand on our infrastructure so we keep scaling it out to meet that demand and when a semester starts up that demand grows at a very quick rate over a short period of time," said Farese. "The expansion happens to have some instabilities in the code we were running."
Farese further explained how the department saw instabilities within the code that led to the wireless crashing and worked quickly in order to fix the problem. In Storrs, the wireless is geographically organized within the main area of campus however the dorms are separate from main points but were still affected by the outage. Regional campuses including depot campus were not affected by the wireless outage.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?