Huskies travel to Texas for winter nationals
After a tough, third-place finish two weeks ago at Virginia Tech, the UConn men's swimming and diving team will travel to Austin, Texas for the USA Swimming Winter Nationals.
The Huskies faced this season's most challenging competition last weekend against Virginia Tech, South Carolina and William & Mary. The team walked away beating William & Mary, but falling to Virginia Tech and South Carolina convincingly. The latter two teams bested a combined 10 competitors who competed in the Olympic trials. Even with many of UConn's swimmers and divers boasting some of their strongest performances of the season, it still was not enough.
The team is now bracing itself for another difficult weekend in what will likely be the most competitive event on its schedule this season. Coming off two consecutive losses, the team is hoping simply to stay afloat in a meet filled with the nation's best competitors, including several individuals who competed in this summer's Olympics in London.
The format differs from most of the competitions that the swimming and diving team traditionally competes in. Most prominently, the meet lacks diving events, allowing only swimmers with qualifying times to enter the pool. Therefore, the level of competition is much higher than what swimmers typically face in Big East competition. Only the NCAA Championships offer a similar level of difficulty for the competitors.
The meet begins today in Texas and will continue through Saturday. This is the Huskies' last competition before the winter intersession. The team will spend the time off preparing for the Big East rivals they will face next semester. Their return after break will be at home against Seton Hall in the Wolff-Zackin Natatorium on Jan. 26, 2013.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer