Huskies travel to Texas for winter nationals
After a tough, third-place finish two weeks ago at Virginia Tech, the UConn men's swimming and diving team will travel to Austin, Texas for the USA Swimming Winter Nationals.
The Huskies faced this season's most challenging competition last weekend against Virginia Tech, South Carolina and William & Mary. The team walked away beating William & Mary, but falling to Virginia Tech and South Carolina convincingly. The latter two teams bested a combined 10 competitors who competed in the Olympic trials. Even with many of UConn's swimmers and divers boasting some of their strongest performances of the season, it still was not enough.
The team is now bracing itself for another difficult weekend in what will likely be the most competitive event on its schedule this season. Coming off two consecutive losses, the team is hoping simply to stay afloat in a meet filled with the nation's best competitors, including several individuals who competed in this summer's Olympics in London.
The format differs from most of the competitions that the swimming and diving team traditionally competes in. Most prominently, the meet lacks diving events, allowing only swimmers with qualifying times to enter the pool. Therefore, the level of competition is much higher than what swimmers typically face in Big East competition. Only the NCAA Championships offer a similar level of difficulty for the competitors.
The meet begins today in Texas and will continue through Saturday. This is the Huskies' last competition before the winter intersession. The team will spend the time off preparing for the Big East rivals they will face next semester. Their return after break will be at home against Seton Hall in the Wolff-Zackin Natatorium on Jan. 26, 2013.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
- Men's Basketball: Jalen Adams commits to UConn
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest
- Growing Investment Opportunities In Green -- and Blue --...
- 5 Tips for Healthy Eating as We Age
- Comparison-Shopping for Life Insurance Made Easy
- AARP Offers Tools for Caregivers
- Getting the Best Price for Your House to Help Finance...
- Why Purchase a Fishing License?