Softball: UConn looks to carry momentum against UMass

By Dan Madigan

• UConn sophomore and outfield Heather Fyfe stands in the batter’s box during a softball game earlier this season at the Burrill Family Field.

Coming off a 10-2 dismantling of Bryant for its 12 win of the season and third win in its last five games, the UConn softball team (12-31, 3-11 the American) hopes to continue its winning ways against the UMass Minutewomen (11-18, 5-5 Atlantic 10) in its only home game of the week.
UMass has already beaten the Huskies twice this season defeating them 8-7 in early February at the NFCA Classic and 11-0 at home on April 8.
In order to grab a victory in their third attempt against the Minutewomen, the Huskies will need to do a better job containing the UMass offense. In their two previous matchups, the Minutewomen tagged Lauren Duggan and Kayla Doty for 19 runs on 21 hits.
A centerpiece of the dynamic UMass offense is freshman Jena Cozza. The second baseman is hitting .333 with three home runs and 17 RBIs and is a frontrunner for the A-10 Rookie of the Year. Cozza was recently named both UMass Athlete of the Week and A-10 Rookie of the Week for a week in which she hit .600 with one home run and six RBIs. Cozza has also had success against UConn, going 3-for-5 with an RBI and a walk in her two games against the Huskies.
Although the UConn's offensive attack has been shaky at some points this season, the team has made tremendous strides as of late. In their last five games, the Huskies have scored 31 runs, mainly due to the offensive prowess of sophomore outfielder Heather Fyfe.
Fyfe continues to hit the ball well after a week where she hit two home runs and had seven RBIs and was named to the AAC Honor Roll. In the 10-2 win against Bryant, Fyfe went 2-for-4 with two runs and two RBIs. The offensive outburst has raised Fyfe's average to .319, second behind Val Sadowl's .340 average, while adding another dimension to the lineup and gives the team's other elite hitters such as Sadowl, Maddy Schiappa and Emily O'Donnell support in the lineup.
First pitch at Burrill Family Field will be at 4 p.m.