Flower festivals bloom all over the state as spring finally arrives

By Zarrin Ahmed

Behind the mall of the Student Union, hundreds of yellow and white daffodils have been planted. Dogwoods are in full bloom down Fairfield Way and Mansfield Way. Little violets have sprung out of the ground. Spring is finally underway and ushering in beautiful flowers.
The budding greenery of the campus can't be missed, even amid the wrap-up of the semester and exams. Remember to keep your eyes open for the signs of new life. Hopefully by the end of this article, you'll know some of the names of the flowers and plants that you're looking at.
Witch Hazel is pretty common around campus, but there is a Chinese Witch Hazel shrub right outside of the Congregational Church. Witch Hazel flowers bloom yellow.
Many trees have tiny red buds, belonging to the genus Viburnum. These include the Wright Viburnum by Arjona, Korean Spice Viburnum by the Young Building, Linden Viburnum at the corner of Wood Hall, Tea Viburnum in the courtyard of Connecticut Commons, and the Blackhaw Viburnum in the Pharmacy garden near the entrance.
Magnolias are small trees, one of which is located in front of the entrance of Beach Hall, and they bloom large white flowers.
River Birch trees surround the pond in front of the chemistry building. White, pink and blue hydrangeas are in the Budds Garden.
A popular tree to climb, the willow by Mirror Lake is specifically the Wisconsin Weeping Willow, and the Dragon's Claw Willow is located along the path by the lake.
Next to the Wilbur Cross Building is the Japanese Pagoda tree, whose white flowers will bloom in late summer.
According to UConn Blooms, the flower of the month is the tulip. Also spread throughout campus, these flowers are naturally blooming now. These bulbs have been cultivated for thousands of years and are native to Turkey. There are so many kinds of tulips, and they're categorized by the time that they bloom: early, middle, or late season.
Other flowers to look out for include pansies (yellow, purple and white, and purple with round petals), hyacinths (violet flowers with thin and long petals), wood anemones (small white flowers with yellow centers), all kinds of violets (including sweet white violet, Canada violet, marsh blue violet, bird-foot violet, downy yellow violet, and arrow-leaf violet), and golden Alexanders (tiny yellow flowers in clusters).
There are so many native Connecticut flower and plant species that I can't mention them all. On the campus alone, there are hundreds of different kinds of trees, plants, and shrubs.
In Connecticut, there are numerous events that celebrate spring and flowers, especially gardening festivals. Though the Cherry Blossom Festival took place on April 14, the 73 newly planted trees should be in bloom by now in Wooster Square, New Haven.
These are the festivals in the upcoming months: Daffodil Festival, April 27 through April 28 (Hubbard Park, Meriden); Dogwood Festival, May 2. 3 and 4 (Greenfield Hill Congregational Church, Fairfield); May Market, May 10 through May 11 (Hill-Stead Museum, Farmington); GardenFest, June 7 through June 16 (Florence Griswold Museum, Old Lyme); Garden Toure, June 14 (Wickham Park, Manchester): Open House Day at White Flower Farm (White Flower Farm, Morris); 10th Annual Historic Gardens Day, June 23 (statewide). Most of these events have other activities like arts and crafts, tours, food, workshops, and entertainment.