Rhythm & Soul: Spring weekend playlist

By Kathleen McWilliams

UConn's infamous Spring Weekend is upon us tomorrow and it seemed only appropriate to write my second-to-last column on a playlist for the weekend.
For those of you who are new to UConn, Spring Weekend is the last weekend before finals week and was traditionally celebrated with wild parties in outdoor public spaces around campus. Since 2010, the university has rightly put a lid on the festivities after Jafar Karzoun, a student, was beaten to death by non-students partying on campus. Tragedy aside, the campus has risen to meet the tradition head on with new events and activities, alongside a good dose of partying.
I have never been big on large parties. The crammed basement full of unattached hands roaming wild and sweaty bodies holds no appeal for me. Instead, I crank up some good tunes, eat some good food and dance around my room in good company or spend some quality time soaking up the sun-Spring Weekend doesn't have to be about rowdy fun at Celeron or Carriage.
For a relaxing night in on Spring Weekend I'd suggest a mix of Coldplay's "Magic," the 1975's "Girls" and Magic Man's "Paris." These songs represent the exciting, but relaxed vibe that would make a perfect playlist for staying in on Spring Weekend. Throw in a little Death Cab for Cutie and MS MRs and you have a perfect low-key playlist for spending quality time with friends before heading home for the summer.
Another great track for staying in is "Place for Us" by Mikky Ekko. The track originally debuted on the "Hunger Games: Catching Fire" soundtrack and blew me away. The upbeat, but also relaxed feel of the song is the perfect complement to a cup of tea and a lively chat with a friend. Similarly, "Sick Muse" and "Succexy" by Canadian band Metric are excellent additions to a staying in playlist. Metric's punk-pop vibe and the excited nature of both of these songs are perfect for a late night awkward dance session or a low key dinner party. Both songs will get everyone moving and grooving to an edgy beat and punk influences.
For those of you, like myself, who will be looking to spend a relaxed night catching up on "The Office" or maybe some reading, piano artist Yiruma's "First Love" album is a fitting soundtrack. The soft, lilting piano melodies calm every frazzled nerve that might be agonizing over finals week or last minute projects.
Whatever your plans are for Spring Weekend, make sure you have the right soundtrack for your festivities. A musical complement will make or break a weekend and don't let the best weekend of the semester flounder based on audio choices.