'Sweet Disarray' adds to the indie pop genre

By Brett Steinberg

Dan Croll's debut record, "Sweet Disarray," adds something new to the mix of indie/pop. Each song is thoughtfully crafted and produced to give it a unique and quirky sound.
Through going back and forth with rough guitar bends and hits in "From Nowhere" to spacy guitar hooks in "In / Out," he does an excellent job at creating an ambient vibe in the album. Croll's wheelhouse is creating provoking guitar and melody lines while using synth drums as the soft backbeat.
Still, when Croll wants to get a more chaotic sound, like at the end of "Can You Hear Me," he records brash, loud drums that take the listener on a rollercoaster of sound. Although seeming frenzied at times, Croll's music contains sounds that all have a purpose and a place. He demonstrates an uncanny control over the music.
In an interview about his recording process on his YouTube channel Croll stated, "Usually when we're in the studio, we have a lot of Spotify playlists for each track and references that we like to take bits of production from." Every song on the album seems to be as much about the production of the tracks as it is about the writing of them.
Although Croll took inspiration from sounds of other albums on his record, it creates a beautiful hybrid of synthetic instrumentals meeting acoustic guitar and drums. His melodies always fit just right into the mold of the tune. It's a mostly upbeat record that creates a vision of chasing the girl you've liked through a blaze of shining, colorful lights. Maybe it's just me, but either way it has a vibe that will induce strong feelings.
"Sweet Disarray" can be found on iTunes and Spotify.
Notable tracks by Dan Croll are, "From Nowhere," "In / Out," "Can You Hear Me" and "Home."
The complete diversity of instruments used in Croll's music added intriguing dimensions to his songs. The intricate production of each track kept me engaged as a listener, and it's a fun album with a lot of depth. I enjoyed this record, but occasionally it seemed to lose structure. I suggest this record for any lover of Passion Pit, Matt and Kim and Grizzly Bear.
7.5/10