'Legally Blonde' opening this Friday night

By Emily Lewson

The Connecticut Repertory Theater's production of "Legally Blonde: The Musical" opens this Friday, April 25 at 8:00 p.m. It will be performed at the Harriet S. Jorgensen Theatre on dates ranging until May 4.
The production stems from multiple sources. The book by Heather Hach, music and lyrics by Laurence O'Keefe and Nell Benjamin, the novel by Amanda Brown and, of course, the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer motion picture. Despite the familiarity most people have with the story, the play is promised to be different.
"It's the same story, so if you love the movie, you'll love the show," Courtney Hammond, the actress playing Elle Woods, told FoxCT Morning Extra. "But it's all heightened; We've got music, dancing, sets and puppets. It's a lot of fun."
Director and choreographer, Gerry McIntyre, is well-known for his ability of producing high quality, high-energy shows. He won the 2013 Connecticut Critics Circle Award for Best Choreographer for CRT's production of "Hairspray."
"Once the ride starts, it never stops until the bows," Gerry said in a CRT "Behind the Scenes" interview. "The energy of the show, it just never stops. It's like a Disney World ride: it's fantastic. You need to keep your hands in the ride at all times, because you just might get hurt, it's so fantastic."
One difference in the musical is the incorporation of a puppet. Bruiser the Chihuahua is a hand-held puppet that is easily used by all actors. By combining puppetry arts into the performance, CRT highlights one well-known department of UConn's art program; also, it is a creative solution to include Bruiser within the performance.
Tickets are available on CRT's website or at their box office. "Legally Blonde: The Musical" should be a lively show that is entertaining for all ages.