Bruegger's and Jamba Juice coming to the Storrs Center

By Miles Halpine
On January 12, 2014

• Rishi Mehta, Associate Commentary Editor

Bruegger's Bagels and Jamba Juice are set to join Storrs Center this year in a co-brand unit, according to an announcement made by the Mansfield Downtown Partnership Inc. (MDP) on Jan 6.

David Katz, a principal of Five Star Equity Partners LLC, came up with the idea of co-branding the two restaurants a few years ago when he "opened his first co-branded location in Orange, Connecticut in 2008" according to a press release from MDP states.

"We are really excited about our Storrs Center location," Katz said in a statement included in the press release. "It has been amazing to see the activity that Storrs Center has created here."

Katz said in the statement that he was looking at other places as a location for the co-branded restaurant "but when I saw what was happening in Storrs, I made the decision to come to Storrs Center."

In terms of employment, Katz said the Storrs Center location plans on hiring 60 full and part-time employees.

Representatives from the Mansfield Downtown Partnership and LeylandAlliance LLC, the developer of Storrs Center, also had positive things to say about this expansion.

"One of the Partnership's goals is for [the] Storrs Center to continue to offer a variety of eating choices that appeal to a wide audience," said Cynthia vanZelm, executive director of MDP. "We believe that Bruegger's Bagels and Jamba Juice will certainly meet that goal."

"We welcome the addition of Bruegger's Bagels and Jamba Juice to Storrs Center and expect them to be very successful," said Howard Kaufman, managing partner of LeylandAlliance LLC. "The winning combination of delicious fresh bagels and juices is sure to be a very popular addition to Storrs Center."

Brianna DeVivo, a 2nd-semester political science major said "I'm very excited as I love both bagels and smoothies. Both are going to be an excellent option for hungry UConn students."

Zach Gershman, a 6th-semester political science major, is also excited, especially for the opening of Jamba Juice.

Jamba Juice, a nation-wide smoothie chain headquartered in California, is a brand Gershman knows. A native of California, Zach Gershman, a 6th-semester political science major said he is looking forward to the opening of the franchise.

"I'm a bit ambivalent about [Bruegger's Bagels], but I'm quite excited for Jamba Juice, it provides far better smoothies than the on-campus store," he said.

MDP is an independent, non-profit organization comprised of the Town of Mansfield, the University of Connecticut and individual business members and residents.