The Connecticut Repertory Theatre presents 'Legally Blonde: The Musical' at the Jorgensen

By Zarrin Ahmed

• Elle Woods (Courtney Hammond) takes center stage in LEGALLY BLONDE THE MUSICAL at Connecticut Repertory Theatre, onstage April 24 – May 4 at the Harriet S Jorgensen Theatre. Photo courtesy of Gerry Goodstein/ CT Repertory Theatre

The preview show on Thursday night was an "experiment" for The Connecticut Repertory Theater's performance of "Legally Blonde: The Musical," but one that left audiences converted.
Held in the Harriet S. Jorgensen theater, a smaller stage at the back end of the building, the presentation of the show was what anyone would expect: glitzy and pink. With ruffled purple curtains, an outline of bright lights across the top of the stage, and the words "Elle Woods" projected onto the curtains in cursive, the theater was made to accommodate the style of "Legally Blonde."
From the Actors' Equity Association, the show stars Courtney Hammond as Elle, Nicole Lewis as Paulette and David Adkins as Professor Callahan. It also features a pit orchestra of eight musicians and a cast of 28 actors and actresses. Director Gerry McIntyre admits in his director's note that he was wrong about his initial reactions to the Broadway show. After directing and choreographing it, he described it as a "very witty, very pink and inspiring musical."
Just like the movie, the musical begins with Elle's excitement about Warner proposing. While the musical boasts vocal and dance numbers, it also hosts instrumental performances.
The company began practice on March 11, rehearsing five days a week from 6 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. One of the actresses, Emily Borne, an 8th-semester theater studies major, said the creation of the production was occasionally stressful. But, she said, the commitment is part of the theater studies major and it takes extreme time management.
Though some of the actors and actresses had reservations about the show, actor Will Graziano explained how the show is actually a "cool, ironic twist."
"I was a little skeptical at first cause I'm not into bubbly things like this," said Josh Kelman, a 6th-semester actuarial science major.
The company will perform the musical until May 4 in the same theater. Tickets are $7 for students.