UConn takes on a world record

By Heather Fyfe

SUBOG and UConn Reslife will be hosting a Knock Out game on Friday at 7:30 p.m. in Hugh S. Greer Fieldhouse. The game will attempt to break the world record for the largest ever knockout game, currently held by Geneva College.
In 2013, Geneva put together a game that consisted of 656 students, merely a fraction of the student population here at UConn.
"224 students have signed up on UConntact and are ready to help break the record," said Jamille Rancourt, president of SUBOG, "We need 433 students to show up the day of the event to help break the record. I am really hoping this is possible as we are a championship school!"
Students who want to participate in bringing yet another championship title to UConn can still sign up via UConntact. The first 300 students to do so will receive a T-shirt on the day of the event. However, only students that signed up before the day of the event are eligible to receive a T-shirt.
If a free T-shirt, breaking a world record and fighting toward the title of UConn's Knock Out champion aren't enticing enough, participants will also have the opportunity to win prizes- a flat screen TV and gift cards to local eateries - and mingle with special guests including UConn football coach Bob Diaco. Students that are eliminated from the game will have the option of enjoying other activities held in Fairfield Way.
Rancourt and SUBOG hope that the event give students a chance to have a good time while also showing the country what UConn can do.
"As the current basketball champions, I think that we can show the country exactly what we are made of. It will be a very fun event and totally worthwhile if we break the record," said Rancourt.
Students participating in the event will check in at 6:30 p.m., and the first ball will be shot at 7:30 p.m.. Students must have their spring weekend wristband to participate in the event.