Softball: UConn avenges non-conference rivals to continue win streak
The UConn softball team defeated UMass 4-2 in a non-conference matchup between two New England rivals Thursday in Storrs.
The Huskies' win avenges an 11-0 loss to UMass earlier in the season.
UConn took the lead in the bottom of the second inning on an RBI single by Valerie Sadowl. UConn stayed in front, adding insurance runs in both the third and fourth innings.
UConn coach Karen Mullins was impressed with the difference in the intensity of her players compared to their first matchup.
"I thought we played with a lot of intensity, both offensively and defensively," Mullins said. "We just played a little more aggressively all the way around."
The Huskies were able to keep the UMass hitters off balance by using four different pitchers in the game.
"We have conference games coming up so we figured we would pitch by committee today and keep showing them different things, and it worked out for us," Mullins said.
Alyson Ambler pitched three innings for UConn and received the win. Ambler allowed only one hit, one walk, and she struck out two batters.
Freshman pitcher Kayla Doty was able to hold off any comeback attempts from UMass in the sixth and the seventh innings. Doty allowed two hits but did not get into any real trouble or allow any runs.
"Kayla has pitched a lot of innings as a freshman, and we just see her getting better and becoming more seasoned," Mullins said. "We are really pleased with her last couple of outings."
The UConn offense found production from their reshuffled lineup. Emily O'Donnell hit in the leadoff spot and was able to get on base twice.
Mullins said the lineup changes sought a more aggressive approach from hitters.
"I think that Emily sets a great tone for us in the leadoff position because she is such an aggressive player," Mullins said. "We were looking for our hitters to be more aggressive and by putting her there, that's exactly what she did for us."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest