Baseball: UConn to play Louisville in weekend series
A UConn baseball player bunts the ball against Temple. The Huskies look to keep their three game win streak alive as it heads to Louisville to play the Cardinals. STEPHEN QUICK/The Daily Campus
After three wins in three days to start the week, the UConn baseball team heads to Louisville for a weekend series with the 17th-ranked Cardinals.
The Cardinals (30-11, 8-4 American Athletic Conference) are on a three-game winning streak with wins over UCF, Western Kentucky and Morehead State.
Louisville lost its last AAC series, dropping two of three games to UCF. The Cardinals were out-scored 12-5 in the two losses.
UConn (21-19, 5-6 AAC) was swept by Louisville when the two sides met in Storrs last year. The Huskies were out-scored 17-1 by the Cardinals, losing 8-0, 6-0 and 3-1.
The Huskies would win when it mattered, however, defeating the Cardinals in the first round of the Big East tournament, winning 3-2 en route to winning the tournament.
Junior outfielder Eric Yavarone scored the game-winning run in the top of the 12th inning, and redshirt junior David Mahoney picked up the win in 2 1-3 innings worth of work, as the Huskies pulled off the upset.
Senior outfielder Ben Gardner is leading the Cardinals offensively, batting .333, and he has a team-leading 14 doubles and 48 RBIs. With four home runs, Gardner is tied for the most on the team with Zach Lucas. Cole Sturgeon and Grant Kay are also batting over .300 on the season for Louisville.
Kyle Funkhouser is leading the Cardinals in wins on the season and currently boasts a 7-2 record. He has a 2.51 ERA with 58 strikeouts and 36 walks. Jared Rauxer, has a 6-1 record with a 2.71 ERA on 51 strikeouts and 14 walks.
First pitch for the series is scheduled for 6 p.m. on Friday. The games on Saturday and Sunday are both scheduled for 1 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest