Wiz Khalifa to headline 2012 Spring Concert

By Jessica Boris

The SUBOG concert committee delivered with a big name. Wiz Khalifa is going to be performing at Gampel Pavilion for the spring concert on March 31.

Some UConn students may have been disappointed with the fall concert being canceled due to snow and the lack of a winter concert, cancelled because of the conflict created by Barstool Blackout at the XL center in Hartford. Instead, the SUBOG concert committee put the money they would have spent on a winter concert towards the spring concert to book a renowned rapper.

"It's going to be a good concert. The concert committee was really excited when they found out. Everyone I've told has been ecstatic," said Ben Spiegel, concert committee chair and 8th-semester student. "I think after looking at all the possible options, we made the best choice."

Spiegel said that the factors that went into choosing the performer included picking a date that the artist could come, adhering to the concert budget and seeing who was available. They also made sure to choose an artist that UConn students had requested.

"I've had friends who have gone to see Khalifa live. They said he does an excellent job performing for the crowd," said Stephany Lopez, security chair and 6th-semester student. "Students will have a good time listening to great music."

The concert was officially announced at Kevin Hart last night, but rumors started circulating about Wiz coming as early as Tuesday night. Spiegel wasn't concerned about the leak and said that the buzz just shows how excited people are.

"I was very excited to hear the news that Wiz is going to be performing at our school," said Andrew Kavanah, a 6th-semester student. "Ever since I heard the song "This Plane" I've been hooked on his music, I hope he performs that song at Gampel. Its also great that we have an artist coming to UConn that everyone will enjoy."

Wiz Khalifa certainly is a big name artist. If you haven't heard of him you've likely been living under a rock. Wiz's first big song was "Say Yeah" off his mix-tape "Grow Season." The song reached number 20 on Billboard's Hot Rap Tracks. However, Khalifa didn't attain mainstream fame until his hit "Black and Yellow." Since then he's been one of the biggest names in rap music.

3LAU will be opening for Khalifa. He is a house, mash up dj. Before the spring concert on March 31, 3LAU will be performing with R3HAB at the Webster in Hartford on Feb. 19. Tickets are $25 not including fees. The Facebook event already has over four hundred people attending and buses from UConn will be available through Adam Boyajin. Needless to say, the UConn population will likely be excited about the opener as well.

There will be 5,000 tickets available for students purchase. SUBOG will be selling concert tickets using a time-slot lottery. Students can pick up their lottery tickets in Student Union room 204 Feb. 6 and 8 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and on Feb. 7 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. A UConn student ID is necessary to obtain a lottery ticket. Each lottery ticket guarantees four concert tickets. These can be divided among groups consisting of three UConn students and one non-student, or two UConn students and two non-students.

Time slots to purchase concert tickets will be announced on Thursday, Feb. 9 on the SUBOG website, in The Daily Campus, in Student Union room 204 and at the Student Information Center. Tickets will be sold from the Student Union Theatre Box Office for cash or Husky Bucks only. General floor admission will be $25.00 for students and $35.00 for guests. All other seats will be $15.00 for students and $25.00 for guests. Remaining tickets will go on sale Monday, Feb. 20 through March 30, for as long as they remain available.