UConn lacrosse brings winning streak to Georgetown

By Joe Crisalli

• UConn senior midfielder Morgan O‚ÄôReilly cradles the ball during a UConn lacrosse game played at the University of Connecticut. TROY CALDEIRA/The Daily Campus

The UConn women's lacrosse team (13-1, 5-1 Big East) will take their seven-game winning streak to Washington, D.C. to take on Georgetown (11-3, 5-1) today at 4 p.m.
In the Huskies' previous contest, they defeated No. 6 Notre Dame, 10-7, and completed an undefeated season at home.
"It feels great," coach Katie Woods said. "I didn't even realize that we were undefeated at home until someone brought it up after the [Notre Dame] game. This is a special team and it's been a great season, and going undefeated at home makes it even more special. Now that we're finished with our home games we still want to compete and win on the road, so that is our next challenge."
UConn has scored 25 goals in its last two games, with senior midfielder Morgan O'Reilly, and junior midfielder Lauren Kahn contributing five goals each.
Freshman attacker Carly Palmucci has also contributed three goals, and three assists in UConn's last two games, both victories.
"Those three have been strong for us on the field this year," Woods said. "All of them have the ability to read the game and take the right risks at the right time. It's been fun to see them all work together, but ultimately the three of them have a competitive will that has been huge for us in every close game we've played."
UConn is now ranked No. 16 in the country and has clinched a spot in the Big East Championships for the first time in program history.
The No. 16 ranking is the Huskies' highest since 2006.
"We really try to emphasize staying in the moment, and making the best of every situation - drill, rep, game, etc," Woods said. "All the wins that we've gotten have been great, each one has been a bit different, and I think the team has learned a lot about themselves from each one. We need to keep challenging them so that we stay grounded and continue working to improve our individual and team game each day."
UConn's only loss this season, came against Syracuse on March 22. The Huskies were held scoreless in the first half, but scored the final four goals of the game.
"I think the loss to Syracuse has been in the back of everyone's mind since the game," Woods said. "We panicked in the first few minutes and didn't really find a groove in the game."
UConn did not look back after the loss to Syracuse, winning their last seven games, three of them in overtime.
The Huskies scored 10 or more goals in all but one of those games.
The last time UConn faced the Hoyas, last season, Georgetown finished with a 21-11 victory.
"That was a tough game for us last year," Woods said. "Georgetown came out hard and got us on our heels early. Last year's team and this year's UConn team are very different."
UConn surrendered eight goals in the first half, and 13 in the second, while scoring only four in the first and seven in the second.
The Huskies will face Georgetown before traveling to Loyola Maryland for their final game of the regular season on Sunday.
"Right now our focus is Georgetown and doing everything we can to put us in a position to win," Woods said. Then we'll move on to Loyola; it's one game at a time for us."