Storrs Side: Big East semifinals, championship moved to PPL Park
The No. 6 UConn men's soccer must change its travel plans for this weekend as the semifinals and championship game of the 2012 Big East Men's Soccer Championship have been moved from Red Bull Arena in Harrison, N.J. to PPL Park in Chester, Penn.
UConn, No. 4 Georgetown, No. 7 Notre Dame and No. 10 Marquette, were to decide the conference champion this weekend at Red Bull Arena, where the Huskies lost to St. John's 1-0 in extra time of last year's championship game. However, the effects of Hurricane Sandy are still being felt throughout many parts of the Northeast.
Red Bull Arena lost power as a result of the storm and the problem has affected more than just the Big East Championship. The New York Red Bulls were supposed to host DC United this past weekend in the MLS Cup Playoffs before traveling to Washington, D.C. for the second leg on Wednesday, as United are the higher seed and won home-field advantage. However, the two clubs agreed to swap their home games as a result of the storm. They are expected to play the second leg in Harrison on Wednesday, but there are still uncertainties about whether Red Bull will be able to host the game.
The Philadelphia Union, who failed to qualify for the MLS Cup Playoffs, confirmed on Tuesday that they have agreed to host the games. Other locations that were considered to host the event included MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. and Joseph J. Morrone Stadium on the UConn campus.
The semifinals are on Friday night, Marquette plays Georgetown at 5 p.m. and UConn plays Notre Dame at 7:30 p.m. Both matches will be on CBS Sports Network. The two winners will play on Sunday at 12 p.m. on the Big East Network to determine the winner of the conference's automatic berth to the NCAA Tournament.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit