State copes in aftermath of Sandy

By Olivia Balsinger
On November 7, 2012

• In this Oct. 30 file photo, people stand next to a house collapsed from Superstorm Sandy in East Haven, Conn. AP

Though it may not have caused quite the extent of the damage in Storrs as it has in other parts of Connecticut and the East Coast, Hurricane Sandy is without a doubt still very much on the minds of students. This may be because many parts of the region are still suffering consequences of the storm and trying to rebuild.

According to an article in The Huffington Post, a total of three people died in Connecticut because of Sandy, which is significantly less than the 47 deaths in New York and the 23 deaths in New Jersey. The article also stated that at its peak there were about 625,000 Connecticut residences without power.

Towns on the coast of Connecticut tended to be affected more directly by the storm. Casie Holveck, a 3rd-semester student, is from the coastal town of Milford, where she explained the hurricane hit quite drastically.

"The back of one of my friend's neighbor's house was completely torn off, like a dollhouse," she said. "This happened to 28 other homes on the beach, unless the number rose since I last saw. There were waves hitting sides of the sea wall at low tide. By the time high tide came, the ocean flooded at least four feet of water inside homes right on the water and completely destroyed them."

Along with Milford, other towns along coast of Connecticut were hit badly by Sandy, and now have to deal with the damage. These include Norwalk, Fairfield, Westport, Old Saybrook, East Haven, and Darien, according to an article in The New York Times.

Kristen Masterson, a resident of Darien, said, "It must be hard to imagine from other parts of the state just how badly we have gotten hit, but it has been very inconvenient for everyone in the last couple of days. I know this is not as bad as places like New York or New Jersey were hit though, and I am hoping everyone stays safe."

Other parts of the state may have seen power outages and school cancellations for a few days, even if the hurricane did not hit as badly.

Aimee Ouimet is a 7th-semester Human Development and Family Studies major from Farmington. She said of the storm, "Hurricane Sandy didn't affect my town too badly. In fact, few people lost power and there was limited damage overall."

With the predicted storm rolling in late this evening, many are worried about the fate of the towns that are still trying to regain strength after Sandy.

"This incoming storm is making me nervous that not only Darien, but all other towns down the East Coast will be able to stay strong," said Masterson. "We have a long winter still ahead of us, and likely more storms."