John Oliver to premiere his own late night show
Next to "Saturday Night Live," no single comedy program in recent memory has launched more careers than "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart." Stephen Colbert, Steve Carell, Ed Helms - these are but a few of the comedy geniuses who have served time as "Daily Show" correspondents. Last summer when correspondent John Oliver subbed in as "Daily Show" host for Jon Stewart, critics raved and fans knew it was only a matter of time before Oliver too would leave the program for brighter horizons.
Following a tear jerking farewell tribute on "The Daily Show" in December, the lovable Brit is set to premiere his own late night program on HBO. Aptly titled "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver," the new program will cover news programs in a similar manner to "The Daily Show." The show will join the network's other late night variety program "Real Time with Bill Maher."
Seeing as "Last Week Tonight" will only air a single half-hour program on Sundays at 11p.m., Oliver will be given more time to cover and prepare stories. HBO, being a premium network, allows Oliver more creative freedom with profanity and the like being fair game. Additionally, the network is open to broadcasting the program on additional nights and possibly expanding the format to one hour sometime after launch.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care