Recapping the Rockets Historic Night

By Eddie Leonard

The Houston Rockets had one of the greatest shooting nights in the history of their franchise Tuesday night against the Golden State Warriors. They beat the Warriors 140-109 at home. That is amazing shooting performance. The game looked like an early rendition of the All-Star game with all the downtown buckets. How many teams can say they lost by 30 when they scored 109 points in the game? Very few.
The Rockets made 23 three-pointers on 40 shots attempts. Everyone on the team made at least half of their three-point attempts and three players on the team made at least three from beyond the arc. The Rockets were on fire. They were hitting 3's like layups.
Sounds like a bizarre blowout, right? You don't know the half of it. There was less than a minute left in the game and the Rockets were up by almost 30 and they had already hit those record-tying 23 three-pointers, but that was not enough for the Houston Fans. The fans in the arena began to chant, "One more three!" They wanted the record about as much as they wanted the win.
The Rockets' scrubs tried to deliver it to them but came up short. Marc Jackson, the Warriors' head coach, had his team intentionally foul the Rockets' bench players over and over. The fans in the arena erupted with anger and boos to the cowardly move.
Jackson said after the game, "We're not going to lay down. If you're going to try to get the record, we're going to stop it."
Well, if you were trying to stop it, here is an idea: play defense. The Warriors gave up 140 points in the game. They looked more like the suckers who play the Globe Trotters than professional basketball players.
In both of the coaches' post-game press conferences they explained why their team executed the way they did and how they were indifferent to how the opposing team ran their plays. These same opinions were not shared by fans and sports analysts, however.
Neither one of the coaches did anything against the rules, but Marc Jackson looked foolish in his approach to intentionally foul with under a minute left in the game when he was down by almost 30. Do you think anyone will remember who the Rockets played if they broke the record? No, of course not. But do you think people will remember that the Rockets tied the record against the Warriors and beat them so badly that the Warriors were too afraid to let the Rockets bench players dribble down the floor? Yes, people will remember that embarrassing Warrior moment.
Some people may say that the Rockets were running up the score, but in fact they were just finishing the game. Just because a team is up by 30 does not mean the time clock expires. The bench players have to earn their paycheck, too. They cannot just lay down so that they don't hurt the opposing teams feelings.
The Warriors played so bad defensively that they made the old D'Antoni Suns teams look like the '07 Detroit Pistons. I found it humorous that Mark Jackson thought it would be less embarrassing if they intentionally fouled scrubs, admitting they couldn't defend them rather than giving up a record whose previous hold was unknown.
This was a very surprising move on Jackson's part, considering that he is a very strong candidate for Coach of the Year. This was not a Coach of the Year type of move.