Where are they now?: Josh Boone

By Mike Peng

With UConn's pedigree in college basketball, it is no surprise that this school has produced many promising players for the NBA. However, not every one of them has been able to reach the level of success that Ray Allen, Rudy Gay or Caron Butler had, and those three didn't even win national titles with the Huskies.
Josh Boone, on the other hand, is an example of one of those less fortunate players.
His first season with the Huskies during 2003-2004, Boone started in 37 of his 38 games, played at the forward/center position and averaged 5.9 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.7 blocks per game. He played a major role alongside Emeka Okafor and Ben Gordon in helping the Huskies to capture their second national championship in school history while on his way to being named to the Big East All-Rookie Team.
Boone went on to have a breakout sophomore season, averaging 12.4 points, 8.4 rebounds and 2.9 blocks per game and was named the Big East Defensive Player of the Year. However, in spite of his splendid season, he and the Huskies weren't able to get past NC State in the second round of the NCAA Tournament that year.
As a junior, Boone's numbers suffered a slight drop, but he was nevertheless still solid. His 10.3 ppg, 7.0 rpg and 2.0 bpg were enough to earn him All-Big East Honorable Mention and helped the Huskies to reach the Elite Eight in the NCAA Tournament, where they would suffer a heartbreaking overtime loss to George Mason.
After the season, Boone, together with Rudy Gay, Hilton Armstrong and Marcus Williams, would all declare for the 2006 NBA Draft, where they were all selected in the first round. The New Jersey Nets would use both their 22nd and 23rd pick on Williams and Boone, respectively.
However, Boone seemed to be unable to translate his collegiate success consistently onto the next level. In his four seasons with the Nets, Boone averaged 5.7 ppg, 4.9 rpg and 0.7 bpg.
Following the 2009-2010 season in New Jersey, Boone decided to take his career overseas to China and play for the Zhejiang Chouzhou of the Chinese Basketball Association, where he enjoyed mild success for two seasons.
Since then, Boone has returned stateside and signed a contract with the NBA D-League's Iowa Energy last month, but not before losing his season to a knee injury shortly after. The Energy is a developmental team with affiliations with the Chicago Bulls, New Orleans Hornets, Washington Wizards and the Denver Nuggets.