Every sorority girl's dream

By Zarrin Ahmed

Lauren Harrigan from Alpha Phi was crowned winner of PIKE's 2013 Dream Girl Pageant, a fundraiser for Soldiers Angels Organization. 

Harrigan took home a $100 donation to an organization of her choice, an invitation to the Pike Formal and a spot on the 2013 composite. In second place was Gabby Pallato from Gamma Phi Beta and in third was Colleen Barnhart from Kappa Kappa Gamma. 

Before the competition, two Pike emcees introduced the judges - one brother from each fraternity. They then played a video made by the contestants that included a greeting from each and their reasons for participating. Besides Harrington, Pallato and Barnhart, the contestants included Melanie Badin from Delta Gamma, Lauren Hagerty from Delta Zeta, Danielle Grover from Alpha Epsilon Phi and Christina Ostner from Pi Beta Phi. 

The first portion of the pageant consisted of introductions from the girls, in which they went up on stage and shared short bios and facts such as their hometowns, hobbies and more. Before the talent section, the judges hosted a mini game where they invited a girl from each sorority in the crowd in search of "the fastest hands." Their objective was to take out all the tissues out of two tissues boxes the fastest. The winner received $25 to Victoria's Secret. 

Grover began the talent portion, showing a video of her baking a cake, at the end of which she presented the emcees with a cake. Harrigan danced on stage with the help of her sisters, who rushed onto the platform. Pallato did her own spin on MTV's Made where she coached three girls and made them into Pike SLAGs (Scholar, Leader, Athlete, Gentleman) in four days. Badin showed her patriotism by singing "My Country Tis Of Thee" and then her dance moves to "Soulja Boy." 

Hagerty compiled a series of Harlem Shake videos of herself and the Pike brothers, presenting a homemade cooler at the end of her video. Barnhart sang about her relationship with Pike while a slideshow of pictures with her and the brothers played on screen. Lastly, Ostner made a video of her painting the Pike crest, longboarding down Horsebarn Hill and finding the boys of Pike to present her painting to them.

After another mini game where contestants from the crowd answered questions about Pike, with another Victoria's Secret gift card awarded at the end, the final part of the night began. The contestants each answered a question to win the hearts of the brothers - questions pertaining to the fraternity itself. Before announcing the winners, Pike played a video showing soldiers reuniting with loved ones and the purpose of Soldiers Angels. All the proceeds of the show went to the organization, including the proceeds from Penny Wars.