Realignment of UConn men's basketball coaching staff
The University of Connecticut announced on Friday that the coaching staff of the men's basketball team is to be rearranged.
Kevin Ollie, an assistant at UConn for the past two seasons, was named the head coach of the team on Sept. 13 after the retirement of Hall of Fame Coach Jim Calhoun. There are no new members of the staff yet. But some coaches have moved into bigger roles while others have been given fewer responsibilities.
The biggest change is that Associate Head Coach George Blaney has dropped down to assistant coach. Blaney has been with the program for 11 years and was named the associate head coach in 2007. Due to Calhoun's health troubles and last season's suspension, Blaney led the team on many occasions over his five years in the role. His most triumphant moment was filling in for Calhoun on Jan. 23, 2010, when No. 21 UConn, who had been struggling all year, upset No. 1 Texas at Gampel Pavilion.
Replacing Blaney is Assistant Coach Glen Miller. This will be Miller's 10th year with the Huskies. He was originally an assistant coach with Calhoun from 1986 until 1993. Blaney was an assistant coach during the 2010-11 season after originally being the Director of Basketball Administration.
With Ollie moving from assistant coach to head coach, Director of Basketball Administration Karl Hobbs returns to the bench as an assistant coach. Hobbs was with UConn as an assistant coach originally from 1993 until 2001, making him a member of the coaching staff during the 1998-99 national championship season. He left in 2001 to become the head coach at George Washington and returned to Storrs after 10 seasons.
His assistant, Kevin Freeman, will fill Hobbs' former position of Director of Basketball Administration. Freeman was one of the marquee players on the team that won the national championship in 1999. He is UConn's all-time leader in games played (140) and was the Most Outstanding Player of the 1999 Big East Tournament.
Reports from multiple sources throughout Connecticut suggest that Freeman's assistant will be hired soon and that it is likely going to be Ricky Moore, Freeman's teammate on the 1998-99 championship team.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Behind the Printing Press: Talent
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer