'Gronk' comes to UConn

By Matt Gantes

Fans of the New England Patriots know the name Rob Gronkowski.

Gronkowski, or "Gronk," as he is also well known, will be paying a visit to Jorgensen on Thursday Feb. 28 at 7 p.m. Tickets are available now at $10 for students.

Gronk is a star tight-end for the Patriots, and also every bit as much eye-candy for the audience. He is a player known throughout the league for his strength as well as agility.

This lecture by Gronk will not be his first. In March 2012, Gronkowski visited the University of Rhode Island for a similar event. The event was very casual and intimate, especially the question-and-answer segment, which he will be doing again.

The event at URI included sections with giveaways to audience members, such as signed t-shirts, gift cards and hot-wing sauce from Buffalo near his hometown of Amherst.

According to ESPN, in the 2011-2012 season, Gronk set multiple single-season records for the Patriots, including most receiving touchdowns as a tight end (17), most total touchdowns as a tight end (18) and most receiving yards as a tight end (1327).

Despite his impressive résumé on the field, many students are more excited to hear about Gronk's partying lifestyle, and if he will be sticking around for a taste of UConn's nightlife, as he is only 23, not much older than most students.

Students can expect a tangible, but not overwhelming, amount of motivational speeches and discourses on work ethic. It is more likely that Gronk will offer some relatable stories of things college students could only dream of.

Gronk is not infamous for his partying ways, but he is in no sense an exception the athlete-party-animal stereotype.

This is to be expected from a former student of University of Arizona, a recognized party school.

But just like every athlete, Gronk talks how important it is to maintain a healthy lifestyle, especially after sustaining an injury. Gronkowski reinjured his forearm during the playoffs against the Texans this past season.

The prior injury took place in November against the Indianapolis Colts. Despite his forearm being broken in two places after the second incident, in an ESPN interview with Hannah Storm, Gronkowski said he "will be ready for the start of next year for sure."

Gronk also said he will be doing everything he can to rehabilitate himself, including eating healthily, exercising when cleared by his physicians and just making good decisions in the 20-plus weeks until training camp.