Popovich to bring his famous pets to Jorgenson

By Julie Bartoli

The world-famous Popovich Comedy Pet Theater will be performing at Jorgensen on Feb. 10 at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.

The act features Gregory Popovich along with his troupe of clowns, jugglers, 14 house cats, 12 dogs, 10 doves and six white mice.

The cats and dogs were originally strays that Popovich took in and trained. They now tour with him and perform onstage skits and stunts. Little do those once-strays realize that they are receiving more attention than they could ever imagine.

The Popovich Comedy Pet Theater received national attention after appearing as a top 20 act on NBC's "America's Got Talent."

To audition for the show, the troupe did a trained cat act in L.A. They were accepted and during semifinal rounds did a skit titled, "The Homeless Clown."

Before "America's Got Talent," The Popovich Comedy Pet Theater was simply a father-daughter act from Las Vegas, Nevada.

Though they did not win the show, the exposure certainly broadened their audience and gave the troupe a level of fame they had not reached previously when performing in Las Vegas.

They have since done a world tour of over 20 countries. They have also appeared on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" and "Late Night with David Letterman."

The group performs several skits, one of the most noteworthy being "Working on the Railroad," in which Gregory Popovich acts as an old west railroad porter that falls asleep on the job. Popovich is awoken by his dog companion, Rex, and along with several other animals, the group manages to protect the railroad from bandits.

In another sketch called "Dreamdogs," Popovich auditions pets to join his troupe. His judges include Rex the dog and Sebastian the cat.

The show also often features the feline circus that Popovich used to audition for "America's Got Talent." In conjunction with Popovich's juggling, the performance is a fan favorite.

Tickets for the show are on sale now and can be bought at the box office window or mailed or faxed in. Adult tickets are $15, children are $13 and UConn students with a valid ID will only have to pay $10 to see the Popovich Comedy Pet Theater.