A sweet surprise in Storrs Center
Jars of candy at UConn's new candy store Sweet Emotions. Jess Condon/The Daily Campus
Just in time for Halloween, Sweet Emotions Candy has opened its doors in the new Storrs Center. I had the opportunity to stop by the store a few times this week and sample some of the devious delights.
The first time I walked into the store, I realized I had found something special. This was no ordinary candy store chain. This was obviously a labor of love. Someone had put a lot of work into making sure that anyone who walked in would have an excellent experience whether they bought something or not. The store was decked out in full Halloween dÃ©cor: witches hung from the ceiling, cobwebs lined the corners and ghosts lurked around every corner. Giant pots of typical Halloween fare lined the shelves, ranging from the typical (candy corn) to the uncommon (big gummy worms and bugs) to the just plain weird (Blood Energy Drink?), and I couldn't help but love every bit of it.
Not an inch of the store's space is wasted. The back of the store is dedicated entirely to bulk candy, where customers can fill bags with any of their favorite candies at very affordable prices. Just about every candy imaginable is present, including various gummies, multiple flavors of gumballs and malted milk balls, the ever-popular candy Lego Blocks and licorice, just to name a few. There's also a Jellybean dispenser, filled with dozens of Jelly-Belly flavors.
Lining the remaining walls, and filling the center, are the pre-packed candies. I'm fairly certain I've never seen so many varieties of chocolate bars. There's also a whole shelf dedicated to novelty candy, such as the risquÃ© Chocolate Undergarments, Body Paint and Chocolate Boy/Girlfriends. Customers of a slightly older disposition will enjoy the decade packs, each filled with candies originating in a specific decade, ranging from the 50s to the 90s. The store also stocks fresh chocolate, imported from a local chocolate maker. On a side note, I recommend everyone try the Dark Chocolate Salted Caramels, my personal favorite.
The real star of the show here, however, is the staff. They are some of the best people I've had the pleasure to meet in Storrs. Every customer is greeted with a pleasant smile and a warm welcome. They really do put in the extra effort to make sure that every customer feels comfortable, something you don't see very often in our fast and furious consumer society. They willingly answer any question about any piece of candy, even going so far as to offer free samples to insure everyone knows what it is that they're buying. Plus, the store delivers anywhere on campus. Candy delivery? If that isn't great customer service, I don't know what is. Having a bad day? Just let Sweet Emotions bring you a bag of candy and kick your spirits up a notch.
For anybody looking to buy some delicious treats, I can't recommend Sweet Emotions Candy enough. You're guaranteed to leave satisfied, happy and with a bag full of fresh, delicious candy every time.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?