UConn golf team heads to Pennsylvania to compete
The UConn men's golf team will be in Pennsylvania on Friday and Saturday to compete in the 2012 Rutherford Intercollegiate, hosted by Penn State University.
The Huskies have been struggling since stroke play competitions began. In both the Farms Invitational and the Florida Atlantic University Spring Break Championship, UConn finished 11th in fields of 14 and 15 respectively.
Individually, senior Matt Dziubina has led the way for the Huskies. He has been the team's top performer at each of the two-stroke play events and notably finished fifth overall at the Farms Invitational. The rest of the team has stepped up at different times. Brian Hughes, Matt Carroll and Jeb Buchanan have all had notable performances. Buchanan turned heads at FAU when he shot two eagles. He was one of the tournament's top performers on Par-5s, shooting six-under-par on the course's longest holes.
UConn will need everyone to step up and have a strong weekend if they want to have a successful weekend. However, a relieving fact for the Huskies may be that the field is lacking in teams from warm weather areas. The first two tournaments were played in California and Florida and featured mainly teams from those areas.
This weekend's tournament consists of 13 teams. Besides UConn and Penn State, the field includes Army, Bowling Green, Canisius, Delaware, Eastern Michigan, George Mason, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Miami, Rutgers, St. Bonaventure and William and Mary.
After this weekend's action, UConn will have the week to prepare for a trip to North Carolina where they will take part in the Wolfpack Spring Open, hosted by North Carolina State University.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest