UConn:Women's track competes in New Mexico
After winning the Great Dane Classic for the third year in a row last week, the UConn women's track and field team will return to action Saturday, Jan. 25 in the Cherry and Silver invitational in Albuquerque, N.M.
The distance medley relay squad of Laura Williamson, Tiffany Daley, Kat Vodopiam and Emily Durgin paced the field, and claimed first place with a time of 11:56.01 last week, and following the meet, coach Bill Morgan said, "Consistency is going to be the word from here on out - it's a great group that will continue to grow."
Although the Huskies have momentum heading into Albuquerque, they will be without Coach Morgan for the meet, as he has taken a leave of absence, according to assistant coach Amy Yoder Begley. Morgan, who has been coaching at UConn for 32 years, is on an indefinite leave for personal reasons.
In his absence, UConn will be led by associate head coach Clive Terrelonge, who is beginning his 10th season with the school. Terrelonge, who normally coaches the sprinters and hurdlers, has enjoyed success in his tenure as a Husky, as he is a five-time recipient of the USTFCCA North Eastern Region Coach of the Year.
"Coach Terrelonge is doing great. He has been with Coach Morgan the whole time he has been at UConn, so even though he has had some added responsibilities, we are trying to keep our routine the same as it would be for any other meet," Begley said.
Terrelonge, Begley and the athletes are excited to prove they can still compete at a high level without their leader, as they are facing some tough competition at the University of New Mexico.
"The kids will look to honor [Morgan's] absence and he will hopefully be proud of the effort we put forth this weekend," Begley said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest