UConn Opera to present 'Albert Herring' tonight and Sunday

By Alex Sferrazza
On January 23, 2014

• The UConn Opera will present “Albert Herring” tonight at 6. 30 p.m. and Sunday at 2

The UConn Opera will present a performance of Benjamin Britten's comedic opera "Albert Herring" this evening at 6:30 p.m. at the Jorgenson center for the performing arts, followed by an encore performance Sunday afternoon at 2:00 p.m.

The production marks the second of the school year for the UConn Opera, following "Songfest: Songs of Your Heritage" this past October.

"Albert Herring" takes place in Loxford, a small town in East Suffolk, England around the turn of the 20th century.  A shy young man named Albert Herring is crowned "May King" instead of the usual "May Queen" at the town's May Day festival, since all the girls in the town are proven unworthy of the title because Albert's the only one in town everyone knows has remained a virgin. Humor surround Herring's unlikely time in the spotlight.

"Albert Herring" was the follow-up to Benjamin Britten's acclaimed opera tragedy "Peter Grimes." Based on the novella "Le Rosier de Madame Husson" by Guy de Maupassant, the comedic show can't be more different from it's predecessor. The opera first premiered on June 20, 1947 at the Glyndebourne Festival Opera in England and made its debut performance in the U.S. a little over two years later at the Tanglewood Music Festival. Since then "Albert Herring" has been shown around the world with recent notable productions by the Portland Opera in Oregon, the Finnish National Opera in Helsinki, and the Vancouver Opera with the Pacific Opera Victoria.

For more information head to www.jorgensen.uconn.edu.