Column: Football needs a plan with Pasqualoni out

By Scott Carroll
On October 2, 2013

Paul Pasquoloni has finally moved on from UConn. With the program in a period of transition, it is important that the athletic program have a plan. Athletic director Warde Manuel is in luck because when I'm not writing columns I can be found in my dorm creating college football dynasties on EA Sports' popular game "NCAA Football." Here is my foolproof plan to improve the state of Huskies Football.
The number one thing that the Huskies need to do is bring in a young coach who is going to bring an exciting brand of football with him. Fans don't want to see constant rushes for three yards a down, they want to see flashy offenses with constant passes and hurry ups. Let's bring Oregon's offense to East Hartford.
If the Huskies don't go the route of the young coach with the up-start system, why not bring in a big name as the coach? Lane Kiffin isn't doing anything right now and if the Buccaneers continue their implosion then chances are Greg Schiano will be available too. UConn should be marketing themselves as a program a coach can mold into their own as the Huskies really have few traditions other than a bell and haven't had any success in their 13 years as a BCS team, aside from one BCS Bowl game.
Any coach that comes in could leave their mark on a program instead of just inheriting someone else's program. Michigan will always be Bo Schembechler's program and Ohio State will always belong to Woody Hayes, but UConn's program has yet to be claimed as a particular coaches' program. A coach has the chance to do what Jim Calhoun did with the university's basketball program and turn a zero into a hero.
This coaching decision might be the most important decision the athletic program will have to make for the future of Huskies sports. With conference realignment looming it's important that our football program be up to snuff with the rest of the nation in order to attract a potential suitor for our conference.
So, college football coaches of America, when you look at UConn Football don't look at the current state, but look at what it can become. See yourself leading a school with your own implemented traditions and slogans. You could be the man who puts UConn football on the map.