Column: A bunch of random

By Dan Agabiti
On January 27, 2013

There are many benefits to returning back to my house in Cumberland, R.I. for an extended break. Among them is the "For What It's Worth" column that Bill Reynolds writes for the Providence Journal. It's the best part of my Saturday morning. 
The format is simple, it's just a bunch of blurbs and random thoughts. I've called it "Twitter before Twitter was cool." So since imitation is the ultimate form of flattery-and way too much has happened in the past month-here are my two cents on the inter-semester break. 
As much as I love my home state of Rhode Island, it's a bit sad that three furniture guys are a cultural icon.
The Cardi's Furniture guys have a TV channel now? Come on, man.
We can talk about the refs in that UConn/Notre Dame game at Gampel all we want, but UConn got punched in the mouth in its own gym by a Notre Dame team that didn't back down. 
However, did you see Skylar Diggins throw the ball in the air afterward like she'd won the National Championship?
Herm Edwards and this whole macho football player culture is insanely stupid; enough with the cliches already, NFL.
RGIII might not ever be the same again, but at least he can say that he stayed in the game because he was "hurt, not injured."
For the record, I didn't blast Jay Cutler for not risking his career just for one game. 
I'm convinced that the injury to Rajon Rondo does not mean the end of the world for this season's Celtics team. 
What does it even mean to have a wife that tastes like Honey Nut Cheerios? Actually, don't tell me. I don't want to know.
If you're a journalism major or a news junky with an iPhone and you haven't downloaded "Summly," stop reading right now and do it. It's free.
Say what you want about the SEC this year, but it was not an off year for the conference.
There's no way you can look me in the eye and tell me Florida wanted to be in that bowl game with Louisville. 
That being said, Louisville came into that game hungry and took it to a Florida team that didn't want it. Congratulations to the Cardinals. 
So how about that Alabama/Notre Dame game, huh? What a gem that was.
Wait, did I really wait like 40 days to watch what looked like my high school JV team get its doors blown off by a juggernaut like Alabama?
Oh, Brent Musburger.
If I were to start a news agency and I was told I could have any reporter in the country, I'd go with Brett McMurphy and I wouldn't think twice.
There is no bigger fraud-or group of frauds-in this country than the Baseball Writers Association of America. 
The whole steroids in baseball thing used to upset me; then I grew up.
I thought the New York Times sports front page was cheeky and lame. 
I finally saw the Godfather part I and part II. They just don't make films like that anymore. 
There is no truth to the rumor that the Daily Campus bought out the remainder of my contract back on Black Monday.
The Tribune Company has left bankruptcy; oh how I wish Newport Creamery would follow suit.
If Brady had been wearing Ugg's like he usually does, his feet up slide wouldn't have been a big deal.
Quote of the year: "Anybody know what happened to Coombs? I feel like I haven't seen him in a while..."
Hey Bill, what the heck does "bunky" even mean?
Follow Dan on Twitter @DanAgabiti