College life on TV: the good and the bad

By Hima Mamillapalli

Remember when you were young and you watched shows about college in anticipation of finally embarking on a journey to find yourself? Maybe college hasn't turned out exactly the way you envisioned it, but here are some TV shows about life in college that are sure to take you on a trip down memory lane.

"Saved by the Bell" is a classic that will hopefully still be remembered for years to come. The original American sitcom follows the lives of several teens and staff at the fictional Bayside High School. The show has a sequel: "Saved by the Bell: The College Years" which was highly amusing to watch, though it lased only one season. The sequel dealt with the college life of characters from the original series as they attended a fictionally based southern California university.

Upon first coming to college, I, like many other freshmen, had a preconceived idea about what Greek life would be like. I can mainly attribute this to the popular college drama "Greek." As the title may suggest, "Greek" is an American comedy series that follows the lives of students at the fictional Cyprus-Rhodes University (CRU). The four seasons of the show focus on how Greek life dominates the lives of all students attending CRU.

For seven seasons, "Gilmore Girls" captured the hearts of many teenagers and young adults. The series stars Lauren Graham, who plays single mother Lorelai Gilmore, and Alexis Bledel, Lorelai's daughter "Rory." The show focuses on the lives of these two Gilmore girls in the small town of Stars Hollow, Conn. "Gilmore Girls" originally began when Rory was in high school but eventually went on to portray Rory's life at Yale University. Rory's interests in journalism and "The Yale Daily News" were a prominent theme in the latter episodes of the show.

A hilariously popular show about college is "Community." "Community" is a comedy series on NBC that focuses on the lives of a group of students at Greendale Community College in Greendale, Colo. The series is currently in its third season and was created by Dan Harmon, founder of the non-profit film festival Channel 101. "Community" stars disgraced lawyer Jeff Winger and the study group that he forms at Glendale Community College. Other members of the group include Troy Barnes, a once prominent quarterback, Britta Perry, a former radical, and Pierce Hawthorne, a millionaire seeking to find his niche in life. The series has had numerous positive reviews and is a must watch if you are looking for a good laugh.

Finally, "Felicity" is perhaps one of the best shows out there that to portray college life. The show revolves around a fictionally based New York University where Felicity Porter, a native of Palo Alto, Calif., is a freshman. The four seasons of the show depict Felicity's four years at university as she tries to find herself amidst romance, overbearing parents and the stresses of college.