UConn men's hockey team to begin regular season
The UConn men's hockey team will open the 2012-13 season on Friday night against the UMass Minutemen at the Mullins Center in Amherst, Mass.
The Huskies, who will join Hockey East in 2014, are opening their regular season against a Hockey East opponent for the fifth time since the 1998-99 season.
UConn showed promise in its only preseason game of the year. Despite having minimal time on the ice prior to taking the ice last Saturday, the Huskies skated to a 3-3 tie against York University from Canada. York, a team compiled mainly of players in their mid-20s with experience playing in the famous Ontario Hockey League or even in the American Hockey League, the minor league division of the National Hockey League, had dominated through their first four preseason games, winning all four by a total score of 25-8.
The Huskies were not intimidated by the statistics and stayed with the Lions throughout the game. In fact, the Huskies had a 3-2 lead heading into the final minute of the 3rd period. But the Lions went with an empty net to gain a 6-on-5 advantage on the ice and were able to equalize the game with 8.4 seconds to play.
Senior captains Alex Gerke and Sean Ambrosie both praised the play of the team after limited practice time and were also quick to compliment the play of the seven freshmen that took the ice for the first time last Saturday.
Despite their struggles during the 2011-12 season, UMass entered the 2012-13 season with 13 votes for the USCHO.com Top 20 poll, ranking them No. 28 among the 40 teams that received votes.
UMass fell off this week, receiving no votes because they have not played this season. Friday night will be the first game for both teams.
The last time the two sides met was on Dec. 5, 2008, when UMass defeated UConn 5-1 in Amherst.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit