Moe's is a welcome addition to Storrs

By Joe O'Leary
On November 26, 2012

• Moe's is the newest restaurant to offer UConn students quality Mexican food, joining the likes of Baja Café and the Tostada Grill. RACHEL WEISS/The Daily Campus

Things just got a little friendlier at Storrs Center.
Every time someone walks in the door at any Moe's Southwest Grill's more than 460 locations (according to their website), the store's employees welcome them with the refrain, "Welcome to Moe's!"
And their latest store, which opened at Storrs' new shopping center on November 15, is very welcoming. With an open storefront that's eye-catching, a detailed menu filled with fresh ingredients and a truly unique way to get a fountain soda, students' dining options improved vastly when Moe's opened for business.
Though UConn has three restaurants offering Mexican food, Moe's being the most recent, each has their own niche that should help all three stay afloat. Baja Café, located in the College Square complex across campus, is unique as it's the only one of the three offering delivery, while Tostada Grill in the Union Street Market offers a more specialized menu, not to mention the option for students with meal plans to pay with points.
Moe's fills the niche of a speedy sit-down restaurant on campus, which UConn otherwise lacks, and it fills it well. From the moment a patron walks in either of the doors on the corner of Storrs Center facing Buckley, the Fine Arts Complex and Mirror Lake, the layout of the restaurant is both simple and well laid out. There's a lot of seating, though Moe's will fill up completely during lunch and dinner hours, and a line of grills and staff waiting to take orders.
Moe's offers the basics of a Mexican menu, each offering named after a movie or TV reference. Fans of sour cream and guacamole will enjoy the Homewrecker burrito, while those who don't will prefer the Joey Bag of Donuts; there are also tacos, quesadillas, nachos, salads, and burrito bowls, as well as occasional specials. Moe Mondays also offer students a cheap meal; you can get a burrito, chips and a drink for only $6.99.
The menu items are made excellent by the fresh ingredients, as a wide selection of vegetables, cheese, and meat are available. Steak, ground beef, chicken and pork are available, but as patrons progress down the line, it's hard to resist throwing everything into a meal.
The real attraction that Moe's offers is its Coke Freestyle machine, which has a touch screen offering hundreds of different flavors of soda. Every soda brand supplied by Coca-Cola is available for selection, and each brand has its own flavor variations. Does pineapple Fanta sound good? Coca-Cola Orange and Lime? Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry Vanilla? All of these, and dozens more, are available to try. Even if you don't want a meal, a drink's only $1.79; the experience is cool enough to try at least once.
In all, Moe's Southwest Grill is a delicious, exciting addition to the already-impressive Storrs Center restaurant lineup. With 7/11, Geno's Grille, and Mooyah Burgers and Fries still to open in the coming months, students should rejoice at the mouth-watering new dining hotspot.