Women's swimming and diving falls to Virginia Tech

By Erica Brancato
On November 26, 2012

Coming off a loss in their last meet against Penn, The UConn women's swimming and diving team traveled to Blacksburg, Va. for their three day meet that started on Thursday, November 15. The swimming team had a shaky start; the usual leading and central swimmers placed lower than normal. However the 400-yard freestyle relay team took the top three spots and the divers also had an exceptional meet, placing in the top three spots for both the one-meter and three-meter events.
"I think the team performed really well at the Penn meet overall. Some people threw some new dives, one diver was coming back from an injury and we had some personal best scores. The girls took first, second, and third place on both boards," diver Danielle Cecco said. "We were weaker in our first event but picked it up and ended strong as a team in the second event."
Despite the loss, the team seems to be shaping up nicely. "The team is progressing really well this season," Cecco said. "Our freshman are coming along really well and we have strong upperclassman."
UConn competed against William & Mary, South Carolina, Virginia Tech and the Liberty women in this three-day event.
"First semester we build for ten weeks up to an invitational at Virginia Tech. Then we go back to the drawing boards for a little bit... we go back and see if we can revisit things that have gotten away from us when competing," head diving coach John Bransfield said. "After the meet we will go back and revisit things that have slipped away a bit. We do our greatest amount of work on our training trip and then we come back and hit the ground running."
The Virginia Tech Invitational seems to have greater weight on the teams schedule compared to the regular dual meets they have. "The Virginia Tech Invitational is different from a regular season duel meet because there is a preliminary and finals unlike duel meets that are just preliminaries," Cecco said. "It is structured more like a championship meet and it prepares us for our big meets at the end of the season."
With the cancellation of the Big East Quad Meet due to Hurricane Sandy, the Huskies lost out on a big meet with numerous teams that bring tough competition. This Invitational will not only prepare them for their championships in February, but get them acquainted with improvements that they need to work on to perform the best in second semester. "My personal goal for this meet is to final on both boards and dive my best," Cecco said. "For our team I want a many of our divers to make finals and be able to dive again at night in the finals."