Women's Hockey: Women's hockey splits series with Providence

By Matt Zampini
On January 26, 2014

Over the weekend, the UConn women's hockey team split the series with the Providence Friars, moving to an overall record of 7-17-2 and 4-8-1 in Hockey East play.
The last time out, the Huskies and Friars combined to put nine goals on the board in an up and down battle. On Saturday, it looked like it was going to be another high-scoring affair. Providence winger Brittney Thunstrom put the Friars ahead just 28 seconds into the game. Thunstrom was able to put back a rebound after a flurry of shots were fired at UConn goalie Elaine Chuli.
"Its not ideal, but it does happen," Chuli said about giving up an early goal. "So you just push it aside and forget that it happens and move forward with the game, that's all you really can do."
The Friars dominated the first period, outshooting the Huskies 15-3, but they were only able to tally one goal. UConn was able to rebound after giving up a goal in the first minute and only trailed by one after the first period.
The second period was all Huskies. UConn came out firing and were able to create a variety of scoring chances, completely swinging the momentum of the game in their favor. UConn found an equalizing goal 7:14 into the second period, as Stephanie Raithby was able to light the lamp for the Huskies. The goal was Raithby's third of the season.
UConn then gained the lead five minutes later when Rachel Farrel took a pass from Alice Hughes and squeezed it by Providence goaltender Sarah Bryant for her seventh goal of the year.
Kayla Campero was able to tack on a third goal for the Huskies 1:25 into the third period. Campero had two break away chances earlier in the game but was finally able to get one by Bryant.
"It was relieving," Campero said on scoring her ninth goal of the season. "The first two breakaways were a little disappointing to say the least because the net was wide open."
Chuli made 36 saves to help the Huskies earn their seventh victory of the year.
The Huskies were unable to pull off the season sweep of the Friars on Sunday as Providence outlasted UConn 1-0 in a defensive battle.
Lexi Romanchuk found the back of the net early in the second period for the Friars for the only goal of the game.
Getting into the thick of conference play and heading towards the end of the season, head coach Chris MacKenzie knows it is important to focus on the little aspects of the game to be successful.
"Just focus on the next game, the next period, the next shift and just play our best, MacKenzie said. "As long as we're playing our best game, we're going to be in every game here on in."
UConn has the whole week off before facing off with Boston University next weekend.