Men's Track and Field: UConn posts strong showing at Terrier Classic

By Matt Kren
On January 26, 2014

In back to back weeks, UConn Track and Field has posted excellent results in their competitions. They did it again, this time at the Terrier Classic at Boston University. Coming into the weekend, all eyes were fixed on the 200 meter dash featuring senior captain Darnell Cummings, who would be running for the first time this season. He certainly did not disappoint as he led all huskies in the 200 meter with a time of 21.55, placing sixth in the event.
After coming back from injury, he was a bit nervous, but said, "once I crossed the finish line it was a great feeling to be back out there with my teammates enjoying the day; I was extremely happy with how I ran. It was a great starting point and I feel as if I set myself up for a great season."
Darnell was not the only captain who led by example, as he was joined by fellow captains Eric Masington and Cory Duggan, who also performed very well. Masington, who competes in shot put, a field event, finished fifth with a 17.29 meter heave. Duggan also stepped up, earning second place as he cleared the five meter bar in the pole vaulting competition.
Along with Duggan, the Huskies had four top ten performances as freshman Cory Hunter placed third, sophomore Timothy Murphy took home fifth and sophomore Connor Grunwald earned seventh.
Along with the great performance in the 200 meter dash, the men's team placed well in the 400 meter dash, 500 meter dash and 800 meter dash.
In the 400 meter, the Huskies had two top ten finishes with senior Kyle Twombly finishing fifth with a time of 47.78 seconds and freshman Chinedu Amonu getting seventh with a time of 47.91 seconds.
The 500 meter dash saw another top two performances by the Huskies, as they were led by sophomore Dele Owoye, who finished in sixth with 1:03.96 and sophomore Robert Hovanec who finished seventh in a time of 1:04.08. Finally, in the 800 meter dash, the Huskies again had two top ten finishes, with sophomore Alvaro Chavez in third with a time of 1:51.30 and sophomore Robert Rhodes in seventh with 1:52.37.
The Huskies finished the day with another top ten finish which was recorded in the high jump by junior Toby Belton who finshed eighth with a jump of 1.95 meters.
The Huskies' next meet will be February 1st in Kingston, Rhode Island at the Coaches Tribute Invitational, a meet where they did not compete last year.