Men's Hockey: UConn sweeps AIC, jumps to third in Atlantic Hockey

By Scott Carroll
On January 26, 2014

The UConn men's ice hockey team won both games this weekend against the AIC Yellow Jackets, taking the first game 3-2 and the second 2-1.
The Yellow Jackets got the first goal of the weekend in the second period of Friday's game. After consecutive penalties by the Huskies, AIC was able to convert on their 5-3 advantage and score from the point as Blake Peake blasted a slap shot by the UConn goaltender.
UConn was able to tie up the game on a power play at 14:37 as Jordan Sims got the puck by the goaltender, evening up the score at 1-1.
The Huskies went on to score two unanswered goals in the third period. Jacob Poe got the scoring started on the power play as he fired the puck past the goaltender on the right side of the net, giving UConn a 2-1 advantage.
Brent Norris was next to score for the Huskies. Freshman Ryan Segalla fired a shot on net that ricocheted off of the AIC goaltender. Norris cleaned up the rebound and beat the goaltender on the far post, giving UConn a 3-1 advantage.
AIC would cut the lead later on in the period off another 5-3 power play. Jon Puskar scored at 17:32, making the score 3-2.
UConn ended the game by killing off the rest of the penalty and fighting off the Yellow Jackets with an extra skater.
Freshmen goalie Robby Nichols recorded a career-best 34 saves and earned his first Atlantic Hockey Conference victory for the Huskies.
UConn followed up their win against the Yellow Jackets Friday with another win Saturday in a packed house in Freitas Ice Forum as the Huskies played their first home game since winter break.
AIC started with a slap shot that beat UConn's senior goaltender Matt Grogan in the top shelf of the net with only four minutes and forty four seconds left in the first period.
However the Huskies fought back and took the lead as they scored back-to-back goals off the sticks of Sims and Poe.
UConn's first goal came with one minute and 42 seconds left on the clock. Kyle Huson fired on net from the point, causing the puck to ricochet off of the AIC goaltender's left leg pad. Sims crashed the net and beat the goaltender, tying the score up 1-1.
The Huskies next goal came less than one minute later. Senior Billy Latta received the puck from the left boards and skated towards mid-ice. Latta dumped the puck off to Poe in the right circle who sniped the puck over the goaltender's left shoulder and out stretched glove.
"I think the biggest thing on that was the two guys driving the net," Poe said. "Pauly and Norris drove the net really hard and it opened it up for me. Bill [Latta] held up, faked a pass, and then passed it to me. I took the shot, got a little lucky."
The goal would prove to be the game-winner as neither team was able to get the puck in the net through the following two periods.
"I thought that we played a very solid hockey game today," said head coach Mike Cavanaugh. "Overall it was a really good weekend for our club. We had gone the previous two weekends without getting points on that second night or win the second night and we were able to accomplish that this week. That's a goal we set out at the beginning of the week."
This weekend brings the Huskies overall record to 12-7-4 with a 10-4-3 conference record. The Huskies will play Air Force next weekend twice at the Air Force Academy in Colorado.