Women's Track and Field: Durgin earns two top-10 finishes
The UConn women's track and field team sent only one athlete to the Cherry and Silver Invitational in Albuquerque, but sophomore Emily Durgin enjoyed top 10 finishes in both events.
Durgin placed fourth in the 3,000 meter run, finishing with a time of 9:56.81, and came in with a time of 4:59.18 to earn seventh place out of 50 in the mile run. Durgin was able to compete at a high level while dealing with flu-like symptoms as well as the high altitude at the University of New Mexico.
"We sent Emily to Albuquerque to experience racing at altitude. The 3,000-meter will be affected and she felt it. The first 2,000-meter were great then it caught up to her," said assistant coach Amy Yoder Begley following the races.
Exerting that much energy in high altitudes is challenging for all athletes, however Durgin seemed handled it well which was noted by the coaching staff.
"Races at altitude get converted for sea level comparisons. Her altitude conversion would be 4:52.67, which would be a personal record. I am really proud of her for racing at altitude for the first time and doubling," Begley said. "She is gaining experience for future championship races. Emily is continuing to put all the pieces together for a great indoor and outdoor season."
After seeing success in Albuquerque, the Huskies will return to action Friday Jan. 31 in State College, Pa. for the Penn State National meet.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest