Professor Clifford remembered for humor, heart
University of Connecticut professor of political science J. Garry Clifford will be remembered for his dedication to teaching, his contributions to political science and his leadership as director of graduate studies for his department.
Clifford, 72, died while walking outside of Homer Babbidge Library on March 26. The cause of his death is unkown.
Clifford was active in his research which specialized in American Diplomacy. This subject served as a general theme for many of his research projects and publications. Clifford authored, co-authored or contributed to five books and was working on a sixth that delved into President Franklin D. Roosevelt's intervention in World War II.
In the classroom, Mark Boyer, director of Environmental Studies, said Clifford made teaching a top priority, especially during his 30-year term as director of graduate studies for the political science department.
"Throughout his time (as director), Garry always put the students first and he became beloved by many as a result of his friendship and advocacy," Boyer said.
Boyer said Clifford was quick to make people laugh, loved the game of golf and was an avid Red Sox fan.
Born in Haverhill, Mass., Clifford graduated from Williams College in 1964 before moving on to Indiana University to pursue graduate work. It was there that he received his M.A., his Ph.D, a University Fellowship and began his career in academia as a teaching associate. Clifford began work at UConn in 1969, but instructed at the University of Tennessee, Dartmouth College, Cornell University and Vassar College during his career.
In honor of Clifford's extensive work with graduate students, the university is creating a scholarship fund for Ph.D. students in Clifford's name.
Boyer, a colleague of Clifford for 26 years, summed up the essence of his friend, mentor and "source of laughter."
"Garry was an amazing person," he said. "Always quick with a laugh, ethical to his core, and passionate about doing the right thing for students."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest