If you want a gaming challenge look no further than Nintendo's 'Pokémon Battle Trozei'

By Alex Sferrazza

Easy to learn and challenging to master, "Pokémon Battle Trozei" is a solid puzzle game at a very reasonable price.
Over eight years ago, Nintendo released a "Pokémon" puzzle game for the Nintendo DS "Pokémon Trozei." While it didn't re-invent the genre, the game was a fun spin-off whose addictive, rapid paced gameplay made it a favorite of my early DS game library.
Flash-forward to 2014, Nintendo has returned with a follow-up in the form of "Pokémon Battle Trozei" available for download in the 3DS eShop. The sequel retains the previous title's charm and gameplay, and likewise its slightly repetitive nature. That said, considering it's available for only eight bucks, it's still one of the best pick up and play titles on the system.
Similar to other puzzle games like "Tetris" and "Yoshi's Cookie," "Pokémon Battle Trozei" follows a falling block design. Titles of Pokémon creatures fill the screen. It's your job to line three of the same creatures up in rows of three upon which they disappear. Combos can be formed after chaining more than four creatures together, at which point chains of two are also acceptable.
The addition of "Battle" to the game's title refers to a new gameplay element. Instead of merely clearing a stage, your goal is to "catch" all of the obtainable Pokémon in one, which ranges from 3-10 depending on the stage. Your ultimate goal is to fill your Pokédex. Each time you chain a set of Pokémon tiles, an attack of whatever the type of the Pokémon that was chained was is directed at the catchable Pokémon. This adds an additional element of strategy for hardcore Pokémon fans. For example, if the catchable Pokémon is Squirtle, a water-type, you'll want to chain some Elekid, an electric-type, as electric attacks are more effective against water-type Pokémon rather than, say, chaining some Growlithe, a fire type that is ineffective against a water type like Squirtle.
While this adds an exciting new challenge for Pokémon fans, those who aren't familiar with every one of the now 718 creatures will find themselves at a significant disadvantage as they will be unfamiliar with many of the new Pokémon's types, and thus the system is useless for these players.
Of course if you'd like you can simply ignore this feature of the gameplay and focus solely on lining up the correct number of "Pokémon" characters next to each other. While playing in such a manner really makes no noticeable difference early on, as you progress through the game, ignoring type-matchups will put you at a significant competitive disadvantage.
Although the title can keep you busy for hours, its repetitive nature might keep some from sticking around for that long.
That being said, "Pokémon Battle Trozei" is a fun puzzle title that attempts to give itself its own unique spin. It has its flaws and less enthusiastic Pokémon fans might struggle as the game progresses, but on the whole, this is yet another solid downloadable title for the 3DS.