Pro Side: Wiggins declares for NBA draft after one year in Kansas

By Scott Carroll

Kansas basketball player, Andrew Wiggins, declared for the NBA draft after one season as a Kansas Jayhawk.
This news comes after an early round exit to the Stanford Cardinal in which the No.2 Kansas Jayhawks were upset by the No. 10 underdogs.
While Wiggins' points per game did increase later in the season, he was held to only four points in his last collegiate game. Kansas was favored in their side of the bracket as their next game would have been against No. 11, Dayton.
Wiggins is at the top of most draft boards as his ridiculous athletic ability has NBA general managers drooling. However, his tendency to disappear during games should make them take a step back.
Joel Embiid, Wiggins' freshmen teammate at Kansas, also declared for the draft last week. The seven foot man missed games in the conference and NCAA tournaments. The freshmen is also touted as one of the "can't miss" prospects in this year's draft.
However, taking injury plagued big men high in the draft almost never works out. The Portland Trailblazers selected Sam Bowie with the second overall selection in 1984 over future Hall of Famer Michael Jordan. Bowie only started 349 games in his 10 year career and missed the entire 1988 season due to a knee injury.
Ohio State Greg Oden was selected first overall by the Trail Blazers in 2007 and has never met the expectation of NBA general managers as he continues an injury plagued career.
The most recent example came last year as Nerlens Noel, the assumed No. 1 pick in the draft, dropped to the sixth pick and got drafted by the 76ers. Noel has yet to play an NBA game.
While the Kansas freshmen have the tools to become two very good professional basketball players, NBA owners should be warned that the two have their drawbacks. Wiggins can disappear and Embiid could turn into a multi-millionaire on crutches.