Men's Soccer: UConn drops spring season opener in Hartford

By Matt Zampini

• Freshman Cyle Larin controls the ball during a soccer game last fall against Washington at Morrone Stadium. UConn dropped its spring opener, 1-0, to Hartford on Tuesday.

The UConn men's soccer team dropped its spring season opener to the Hartford Hawks 1-0 on Tuesday night.
Javoni Simms scored for the Hawks with 18 minutes left in the first half for the only tally of the game. Simms found himself open at the top of the 18-yard box and was able to fire a shot past UConn goaltender Jacob Wagmeister into the bottom right corner of the net.
Tuesday night was the first time the Huskies were in action since losing to the University of Virginia in the Quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament in the fall. With players graduating, leaving for the MLS Draft and injuries, head coach Ray Reid was pleased with how his team performed under the circumstances.
"For the first game out it was pretty good," Reid said.
UConn's offense struggled to create opportunities the entire game. The Huskies were able to posses the ball in their offensive third but could not turn that into any scoring chances.
The Huskies best chance of the contest came with just 22 minutes left in the game. Kwame Awuah sent a cross into the penalty box that found teammate Cyle Larin's head but Larin put it over the crossbar.
Larin was a bright spot for the Huskies last year as a freshman, leading the team with 14 goals. His stellar freshman year is certainly going to cause opponents defensive problems in the upcoming season and coaches are going to take notice and focus on shutting him down. And it was evident that Hartford did just that on Tuesday night.
Larin, using his big body and strength, was able to hold the ball up top for the Huskies nicely the entire game but couldn't create any chances for the Huskies. Coach Reid is hoping he will be better moving forward.
"Cyle's got to do better," Reid said. "Cyle's got everybody up his (butt) now, people are on him tight but for a guy of his level, he's got to do better."
Coach Reid only went to his bench once in the spring opener, turning to freshman Andrew Geres, who made his college debut for the Huskies against the Hawks. Geres played 34 minutes in his debut.
Next up for the Huskies on their spring schedule is the Boston College Eagles. The game will be played on Saturday at Addison Park in Glastonbury, Conn.