New season picks up the pieces

By Claire Galvin
On January 26, 2014

If you thought you knew "Archer," think again.
Archer aired Monday night at 10 p.m. on FXX. It was the second episode of the show's remake, "Archer Vice."
Sterling Archer is a spy for ISIS, a secret service located in New York City. Archer is self-absorbed and lacks almost all skills necessary for a spy. Using dark humor and dysfunctional characters, the show concentrates little on their secret service duties.
The four seasons of "Archer" concluded when the U.S. government finally shuts down ISIS for treason. The current season takes a completely new direction and starts with the characters picking up the pieces after ISIS shutdown. Although very little during the first four seasons was continuous, "Archer Vice" removes all familiar aspects for viewers.
Monday's episode shows the ISIS team traveling to Miami to sell 60 million dollars worth of cocaine that Malory, Archer's mother and head of ISIS, accumulated from previous missions. The workers plan to fund their retirement and leave ISIS for good. For example, Cheryl decides to become a country singer and Cyril decides to become staff attorney.
Archer and Lana decide to smuggle the cocaine by forming it into a full body cast, which Pam wears during the flight. Pam soon becomes addicted and throws a wrench into the team's plan to sell the cocaine. Archer and Lana are rejoined by Ramon, Charles and Rudy. Archer trusts Ramon to sell the cocaine, but Lana refuses to sell to hit men Charles and Rudy.
After Ramon forces Lana and Archer to not bring guns, Charles and Rudy steal both the money and the cocaine. Archer decides to break into their house to take back the cocaine. Ramon, Charles and Rudy die during a shootout with Archer, and Archer is victorious. Upon arriving back at the manor, Cyril realizes the money is counterfeit and Ramon lied to them, leaving them with no money and no cocaine. Charles and Rudy have faked their own deaths during the shootout.
Will "Archer Vice" bring in more viewers than the fourth season of "Archer?" Will it re-engage its viewers? Only one thing is for sure, "Archer Vice," will be nothing like "Archer."