Lessons I've Learned From TV: Housewives spoof rather realistic

By Maurilio Amorim

My recent television binge watch is "The Real Husbands of Hollywood." The show features Kevin Hart, Robin Thicke, Nelly, J.B. Smoove, Nick Cannon and other various celebrity guest stars. The show mirrors the alleged real life reality shows that show real housewives. The celebrities play fictitious versions of themselves as they live the Hollywood lifestyle and constantly clash over nonsense. The show is a comedy meant to parody reality television and celebrity lifestyles.
What's scary is, the fact that the show is not very different from the actual reality shows it parodies. While a lot of people judge these shows, their characters and their lifestyles, nobody really seems to have a huge problem with them. On the opposite hand, when the show features men behaving in this manner, it suddenly is unacceptable. What does this mean? Society has a strange double standard where men cannot behave in this manner, but women can. These real housewife shows feature women conforming to extremely negative female stereotypes and while they are judged, nobody has a problem with it. We laugh at men behaving in this manner as it is done for the sake of comedy, but the entire show revolves around Kevin Hart's behavior and its unacceptability. Whether the writers intended to or just got lucky, this show has managed to expose a major double standard.
Ignoring the lifestyles on these shows, we should address the problem at hand. Why does nobody bat an eye at women behaving stereotypically? Has society accepted this as true? Perhaps they have, as all these reality shows, which I'm sorry to tell you are probably scripted, only really accomplish one thing-giving women a bad name. In order to make reality more interesting, the producers and writers need to fill it with drama and conflict so people will watch. It obviously must seem realistic, so they create dramatic situations out of everyday little things. These shows not only lead to self-fulfilling prophecies as it teaches young women to behave in this manner, but it teaches men that these stereotypes are true. In the year 2014 where we have a women campaigning to be President of the United States, I think it is time that we reevaluate these stereotypes and examine why we would want to broadcast them as real across the country.