Fiercely mediocre 12th season

By Alex Sferrazza

Same old song and dance.
As the 12th season of "Family Guy" continues, "Fresh Heir" stands as yet another run of the mill episode of the series that, while never reaching a true high note, never truly becomes unwatchable. It's barely average, but to be fair, if there's one show on television that can put out an "average" episode without making the audience feel like they just wasted a huge chunk of time, it's "Family Guy."
The episode starts out with an unusual team up. Chris begins hanging out with his grandfather Carter after Peter continues to neglect his son. The pair really hit it off, and as a result, the wealthy Carter decides to leave Chris as the sole beneficiary of his will, as Chris is the first person to tell him that he is not interested in his money.
Counting on inheriting Carter's money upon his death, Peter hatches a hare brained scheme to marry Chris in Vermont in an attempt to obtain his son's eventual wealth.
Yes, the plot is as convoluted as it sounds. But to be honest, considering this is "Family Guy," it's not the most outlandish thing we've ever seen on the show. Unfortunately, the writers don't really have all that much to run on this time around. After the initial shock humor that comes with a father attempting to marry his own son, the remainder of the related gags are extremely predictable and so outlandish they barely manage a chuckle. The first act of the episode, however, was surprisingly original for the show with Carter and Chris's team up providing some genuinely funny moments.
Seth Green offers up one of his very best performances as Chris in the episode, the subject matter leading to some rare chances for Green to really deliver some fairly heavy material as the character.
Some solid jokes are hidden away in the episode and the "Annie Hall" parody in the closing scene stands as the best among them. A brief gag with Meg and Peter is also quite brilliant, so I won't spoil it here.
On the whole, "Fresh Heir" is far from one of the worst episodes and while it's not great, it's a valiant effort from a season which overall has shaped up to be a cut above the past few. The episode at least has a decent premise and doesn't rely solely on cutaway gags to get a laugh out of the audience. The story has some genuinely funny moments in its own right. Additionally, I'd like to believe that I wouldn't be so critical of the episode if it weren't so similar to every other outlandish "Peter gets a crazy idea" episode I've already seen on the show. It's your typical "Family Guy" fare, and you either love it or hate it, bottom line.