Give the depths of [adult swim] a try

By Matt Gantos

If you are ever brave enough to venture in Cartoon Network's late night line-up, [adult swim], maybe you've caught one of their newer programs called "Rick and Morty."
The show was co-created by Dan Harmon, the creator of "Community." Harmon is known for a sadistic attitude toward society and cultural norms, which creates the large majority of his appealing content.
For those of you who haven't seen the show, it follows a 14-year-old boy named Morty Smith and his family's excursions largely created by their collective stupidity and facilitated by Morty's scientific genius grandfather Rick.
Even though Morty is supposed to be an average boy struggling his way through high school, his grandfather is constantly pulling him out of class for adventures. The adventures usually spawn from Rick attempting to collect some sort of rare item, or best some group of alien life forms that usually involves space travel, interdimensional worm holes or some sort of crazy gadget that could never exist in real-life.
Having a scientific genius for a grandpa sounds fun right? Wrong. Despite being incredibly intelligent, Rick is also an irresponsible alcoholic who constantly berates the educational system and the general American way of life-though he has some pretty valid points.
Constantly in a struggle of pride with Morty's father, Rick's son-in-law, Jerry tries to be a responsible parent but constantly fails due to his own insecurity. If you have ever watched "Archer," Jerry is voiced by Chris Parnell, a.k.a the voice of Cyril Figgus. Their characters are remarkably similar.
The latest episode, which aired on March 24, actually broke the mold from the rest of the episodes. Most of the time, Rick and Morty are on adventures together, but this time, Rick and Morty's sister Summer has a co-plot going on while Morty tries to convince his father that Pluto was no longer a planet.
Summer has just gotten a new job at a store that sells items that give you some sort of benefit but also a curse. Rick deduces that this is the work of the devil, and quickly develops a facility to remove the curses from the items using science.
The larger underlying theme that the writers are trying to get across is that "the devil" is no longer applicable to so many unfortunate circumstances because now science gives people the opportunities to work around and survive them. More importantly, people feel like they can do whatever they want regardless of the circumstances because medicine and science can pull them out of the water.
If you take the time to actually watch the show for more than what it is on the surface, a sloppily drawn and unattractive cartoon full of a bunch of nonsense and imagination, you can clearly see that Dan Harmon and co-creator Justin Roiland, who does the voice of both Rick and Morty, are not merely interested in creating some slapstick humor cartoon. It's much deeper than that.
So far the show has been incredibly successful and already renewed for a second season by [adult swim]. If you only watched the first episode and decided it wasn't for you, give it another try, the rest of them are wonderfully creative.