Film's 'uncensored look' at love

By Brian Passeri

This Saturday, the Rainbow Center hosted a screening of the Brazilian film "Amores Possíveis," which translates into English as "Possible Loves."
Released in 2001, the comedy-drama was directed by Sandra Werneck and won the Latin American Cinema Award and the Sundance Film Festival the same year.
The film begins with Júlia (Carolina Ferrz) standing up Carlos (Murilo Benício) at a movie theater in Rio. Flashing forward fifteen years the audience is shown three different scenarios of how their lives could have unfolded.
The film effortlessly transitions between three potential storylines. In the first, Carlos is now a lawyer and married to a woman named María, and he runs into Júlia for the first time since she stood him up. In this version, Carlos falls for Júlia and tells her that he has left his wife for her. However, he is reluctant to confront his wife and after an awkward encounter between Júlia and María, Júlia realizes that he has been lying to her. At the end of this story, Carlos tells Júlia that although he loves her, he cannot leave his wife.
In the second scenario, Júlia is his ex-wife. They have had a childtogether, but Carlos has left her for Pedro, one of his soccer buddies. Their current relationship is rocky at best, as Júlia expresses her hatred of him for leaving her, often hurling a variety of homophobic slurs and, at one point, telling him that she hopes he dies of AIDS. Carlos tries to fix their relationship, but after realizing that Júlia is still in love with him and he cannot rekindle their marriage after living with another man for three years, he again leaves and returns to Pedro.
In the last version of the story, Carlos still lives with his mother and has a variety of one-night stands with different women in an attempt to find the "perfect woman." Carlos seems to instantly find flaws in every woman he meets, and eventually joins a dating service that promises to match him with his soul mate. He is paired with Júlia, an artist who his mother disapproves of, but in this scenario, they ultimately end up together.
Although a foreign film with an experimental style, the film has a lot to say about the nature of love and human relationships.
Tejas Parekh, a 6th-semester Psychology major, said, "the movie sends a good message about love having no boundaries or set definition. It's not about traditional love, but rather the variety of different ways love can take shape."
Gloria Kim, a 4th-semester Biology major agreed, saying, "I thought the film was interesting because it wasn't your typical American happily ever after movie, it was very realistic and showed a raw, uncensored look at relationships."
The film was part of the Rainbow Center's Rainbow Cinema series, which screens films tackling LGBTQ issues every Saturday.