Nostalgia 101: The Wonders of the 90s: Backstreet's back- alright!

By Matt Gantos

Rumors were going around in the last couple of weeks that the Backstreet Boys and the Spice Girls would be co-headlining a reunion tour.
Unfortunately, the rumors sparked by BSB's Brian Littrell, who said, "We are actually in early talks about doing a world tour together with the Spice Girls," have been obliterated.
Even though they aren't touring with the Spice Girls, the Boys are currently getting ready for a world tour, starting in the UK and then heading back over to Canada and eventually in June they'll be in the US for some dates.
Ladies, I know both groups probably played some sort of role in your childhood, but I'm not sure these tickets are something you really want to spring for. Even though you probably won't have tickets close enough to tell, it's evident that their popularity in the late 90s is nearing on 20 years ago.
They certainly aren't the strapping young men they used to be, but hey, I think they've aged well. They just look like a bunch of guys that are well into their 30s that are dressed like teenagers, singing songs that you thought were lame when you were a teenager.
So where's the appeal? It's in the name. The last time you probably listened to any Backstreet Boys or Spice Girls was likely in satire. Even though on the outside you're laughing with your friends saying "Oh man, I can't believe we liked this when we were little kids," on the inside you know that it's catchy and you secretly know all the words.
It's about the nostalgia. Fifteen years from now, One Direction will be a bunch of has beens and they'll go on tour and the girls that are 11 now (and some of you that are 21) will be buying their tickets for more money than they're worth.
I'm not saying that if someone handed me a free ticket to the Backstreet Boys today, I wouldn't go, because, honestly, I probably would. If it were the Spice Girls, probably not. Unfortunately, as a boy, listening to the Spice Girls as a little kid made you 'uncool,' so they hold much less nostalgia for me. On top of that, they're definitely showing their age.
They're all beautiful women, and girls that can sing get me every time, but both groups are obviously just desperate for money and attention. But the reality is that is doesn't matter because we all succumb to our nostalgic desires whether it's music, TV, movies, video games, toys. Hence why I write this column every week.
If you're an N*Sync fan and feel left out this year, don't feel bad, I left them out mostly because some of them are somewhat successful. Well, mostly JT, but Joey Fatone had his 15 extra minutes of fame while on "Dancing with the Stars," and Lance Bass gets pulled out as a joke on pop TV and movies now and again.
Tickets for the Backstreet Boys are already on sale. The closest show to UConn is up in Mansfield, MA. Regular tickets are $99.00 and VIP packages approach $600. I kid you not.