Column: Proud to be a Husky

By Tyler Morrissey

It's a great time to be a Husky.
From Bridgeport to Mystic, as far north as Enfield and Storrs and back to Madison Square Garden you could hear the collective sound of jubilation as the UConn Huskies made it back where they belong, the pinnacle of men's basketball, the Final Four.
This weekend, senior guard Shabazz Napier cemented his name with other UConn greats like Ray Allen, Tate George, Rip Hamilton and Kemba Walker. Off his 25-point performance, Napier and the rest of the Huskies are heading back to the Final Four for the first time since 2011.
With the outstanding play of Napier and the solid performance of Ryan Boatwright and DeAndre Daniels the Huskies have been an offensive juggernaut in March with no signs of slowing down.
UConn is the first No. 7 seed to reach the Final Four since Virginia accomplished the feat in 1984. It seems like a long time ago that we were talking about postseason bans and the pains of conference realignment.
After getting screwed by the ACC, look where we are now. The view from the top of the college basketball world is pretty nice, despite the fact that we have to share it with three other teams.
One of those teams is UConn's next opponent, Florida. The Gators have not lost a single game since their loss to UConn on Dec. 2, when Napier once again proved to be the hero when it mattered most.
While all of UConn country basks in the glory of the Huskies' rise to the top, there's another UConn team that has been on top since last April.
The women's basketball team plays tonight for a chance to go to their seventh straight Final Four. The Huskies took down No. 12 BYU 70-51 to advance to the Elite Eight and must now get by a perennial tournament favorite in Texas A&M.
The Huskies had their first close call of the year when they were only leading BYU by one point at the half. But as always, UConn was able to rally and bury the Cougars in the second half, like they have done to so many teams in the past.
For the first time in a long time, it feels like March Madness on campus. The feeling of excitement is in the air, and UConn white and navy apparel is on the backs of students as they move about.
We are on the cusp of something special here in Storrs. There's potential for both the men's and women's basketball team to make the Final Four for the first time since 2004. We all know what happened that year. It' a great time to be a UConn student. Cherish these next few games, especially if you are a senior. Kevin Ollie said it best after the Michigan State game: "How about them Huskies?"