Softball: UConn gets first two wins in the AAC

By Spencer Mayfield

The UConn softball team earned their first victories in the American Conference this weekend by defeating Memphis 4-1, and 9-6 in a rain shortened affair on Saturday.
Despite the rain, the Huskies' bats came alive, as they were able to snap a nine game losing streak and start their home schedule with two much needed victories.
The first game was a pitcher's duel early as both teams were left scoreless after three innings. The Huskies threatened to score in the bottom of the third inning, but Heather Fyfe was thrown out at the plate by Memphis center fielder Lindsay Crowdus while attempting to score on an Audrey Grinnell single.
The Huskies broke through for their first run in the fourth inning when Jacklyn Dubois scored on an RBI double from Lexi Gifford.
UConn tacked on another run in the fifth inning after Fyfe singled and was bunted over to second base by Maddy Schiappa. Alyssa Gardea pinch ran for Fyfe and scored on a single from Emily O'Donnell. The Huskies added two more insurance runs in the sixth inning when Valarie Sadowl hit a solo homerun and O'Donnel hit a sacrifice fly that scored Taylor Townsend.
Lauren Duggan had one of her best outings for the Huskies this year. Duggan threw seven innings, only allowing Memphis to score one run in the seventh inning. Duggan kept hitters off balance all day. After surrendering a walk in the second inning Duggan went on to retire the next nine straight batters. Once UConn gained the lead Duggan never looked back. Duggan battled her way out of trouble in the seventh inning to shut the door on Memphis' comeback attempt after allowing a lead off homerun.
In the second matchup, Memphis got on the board first when Katelyn Callahan allowed a homerun to Goodwin in the second inning. The Huskies responded right back in the bottom of the inning when Sadowl hit a two-run homer that scored Alyson Ambler. Memphis tied the game back up in the top of the third inning when Jaye Smith scored on an error.
Both teams went scoreless until the fifth inning when the weather became a factor. The Huskies were able to plate seven runs in the fifth inning as Memphis pitcher Christian Novak struggled to grip the ball in the rain. UConn needed two-thirds innings from Abler and one-third inning from Doty in order to secure the victory in the sixth inning as Memphis scored four runs to make it a nine to six game. The umpires ended the game due to rain.